NEWS is a Johnny's Entertainment group composed of four members. NEWS stands for the four compass directions: North, East, West and South.NEWS is a Johnny's Entertainment group composed of four members. NEWS stands for the four compass directions: North, East, West and South.
* September 2003: Nine Johnny's Juniors were picked to form NEWS.
* November 7, 2003: First single release, NEWS Nippon. This was a limited release, available only at 7-11 stores (corresponding to the release date of Nov 7) as the 2003 volleyball championships official song.
* December 2003: Moriuchi Takahiro (森内貴寛) left NEWS and Johnny's Entertainment, leaving the current eight members.
* May 2006: NEWS is suspended for the rest of the year due to temporary suspension of 2 members for under age drinking of alcohol (Uchi Hiroki in July 2005 & Kusano Hironori in January 2006). Members that are not related to the scandals were allowed to carry on with their solo activities, but no group activities were carried on during this period.
* December 30,2006: It was announced that NEWS would make their return at Johnny's Concert Countdown 2006-2007 as a six-member group, since Hiroki Uchi and Hironori Kusano had been demoted to trainees.
* December 15, 2007-January 27, 2008 NEWS went on a nationwide tour, NEWS Concert Tour Pacific 2007-2008, from December 15, 2007 to January 27, 2008. Because tickets were in such high demand, two more dates were added to the concert, which resulted in NEWS performing at the Tokyo Dome for the first time.
* February 2008 NEWS released their eighth number-one single, "Taiyōu no Namida", which was used as the theme song for the movie Kurosagi, starring Tomohisa Yamashita.
* In summer 2011 Yamashita Tomohisa and Nishikido Ryo decided to leave the band. Yamashita focused on his solo career while Nishikido remained a member of Kanjani8. For months it was unknown whether NEWS would continue as a band and the news were not announced publicly until October 7, 2011 when the 4 remaining members decided to carry on.
* NEWS came back as a 4-member band in 2012 with a new single "Chankapana" on July 18. The single and the following tour was a big success and the band once more secured their spot in the industry as all of their following releases made it to No 1.