Kamenashi Kazuya, passionately known as Kame, is a Japanese idol, singer–songwriter, actor, television personality, producer, radio host and occasional model.
Born and raised in Edogawa, Tokyo, he joined the Japanese talent agency, Johnny & Associates, at the age of 12 and was drafted as a member and co-lead vocalist of the popular J-pop group KAT-TUN in 2001. The group officially debuted in 2006, and has since achieved a string of chart successes with all 8 albums and 25 singles reaching number 1 on the Oricon charts since debut.
He was part of the temporary group Shūji to Akira with Yamashita Tomohisa. The only single "Seishun Amigo" became the best-selling single of 2005 in Japan. In 2013, he formed another temporary group, Hottake BAND with Tamaki Koji (Anzen Chidai) and released one & only single, Sayonara*Arigatou which topped Oricon Weekly chart.
Though not a consistent lyricist, Kame has written several songs often under a pen name. He wrote "Kizuna" for "Gokusen 2" which was listed in "Seishun Amigo" single. A duet with member Taguchi Junnosuke called "Special Happiness" listed in KAT-TUN's 1st album "Best of KAT-TUN".
During KAT-TUN's 2009 summer arena tour, he debuted a song which he co-wrote with Satomi and Yuka Kawamura titled as "Aishiteiru Kara (愛しているから?)" in Ginowan, Okinawa on July 22, 2009 and performed it live with guitar accompaniment throughout the tour; it was listed in "Love Yourself (Kimi ga Kirai na Kimi ga Suki)" single.
In magazine MAQUIA June 2011 issue, Kame revealed that "1582" listed in KAT-TUN's 4th album "Break the Records -by you & for you-" was actually partial written by him. He didn't make it public in advance because probably if the listeners knew it before, they would read deep into it and change perspective. He doesn't want to say it because he wants them to enjoy that world purely, as the piece of work that it is.
Kame has also established himself as an actor with award-winning roles (see Recognition below).
Movie, Vancouver no Asahi is officially announced to have its World Premier on the 33rd Vancouver Film Festival 2014 in Vancouver.
Movie, Ore Ore premièred in Udine, Italy for Far East Film Festival in April 2013 and has won “My Audience Award”. Currently, the movie will be shown in Taiwan, Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, USA and more countries would be added in. The film also participated New York Asian Film Festival 2013 in July and awarded Kame the 2nd-runner up for Best performance!
Radio hosted "Kame Kase by Kase" aired by Nippon Cultural Broadcasting from April 4th, 2008 – September 30th, 2011. A new radio show called 'Kamenashi Kazuya Hang Out' that airs every Saturday morning since October 1st, 2011 till present.
He is also a sportscaster for Going! Sports & News which is aired by NTV every Sunday night since April 3, 2010–present and Dramatic Game 1844 aired by NTV as Baseball Special Supporter since April 12, 2011 till present.
Since 2004, Kame was the lead role cum principal for stage play/musical "DREAM BOYS" which produced by Johnny H. Kitagawa until 2012.
On 11 April 2015, its announced Kame is the lead for stage play "Aoi Shushi wa Taiyo no Naka ni Aru" which starts from 10 August in Tokyo till 13 September in Osaka!
Kame walked the runway in 2008 for Hermès' men's autumn/winter 2008 collection in Tokyo. In 2010, he won the annual Best Jeanist award with more than 29,000 votes in the men's category, almost triple that of second runner-up, Masaki Aiba. This was his fifth consecutive win and was thus promoted into the hall of fame, making him Eternal Best Jeanist and ineligible for future runs. Kame is also a regular writer for his column "Kame Camera" in Maquia monthly magazine.
Kame is currently endorse for the following brands/products:
1. Nobel - SOURS (Sour gummy)
2. Taisho - RAIZIN (Energy Drink)
3. Bijoude (Jewelry)
* Kaitou Yamaneko as Yamaneko (NTV, 2016)
* Second Love as Kei Taira (TV Asahi, 2015)
* Tokyo Bandwagon shitamachi dai kazoku monogatari as Hotta Ao (NTV, 2013)
* Dragon Seinendan as mystery blue chairman (TBS, 2012, ep10)
* Yokai Ningen Bem as Bem (NTV, 2011)
* 3 nen B-gumi Kinpachi-sensei Final SP (TBS, 2011)
* Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge as Takano Kyohei (TBS, 2010)
* MR. BRAIN as Wakui Masakazu (TBS, 2009, ep3)
* Kami no Shizuku as Kanzaki Shizuku (NTV, 2009)
* 1 Pound no Fukuin as Hatanaka Kosaku (NTV, 2008)
* Tokkyu Tanaka San Go as Shibahara Toru (TBS, 2007, ep9)
* Tatta Hitotsu no Koi as Kanzaki Hiroto (NTV, 2006)
* Suppli as Ishida Yuya (Fuji TV, 2006)
* Nobuta wo Produce as Kiritani Shuji (NTV, 2005)
* Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo 2005 as Kindaichi Hajime (NTV, 2005)
* Gokusen 2 as Odagiri Ryu (NTV, 2005)
* 3 nen B gumi Kinpachi Sensei 5 as Fukagawa Akihiko (TBS, 1999)
* Utsukushī hoshi - 2017
* P to JK as Sagano Kouta - lead (2017)
* Joker Game as Jiro Kato - lead (2015)
* Vancouver no Asahi as Roy Naganishi (2014)
* Ore, Ore as Nagano Hitoshi plus another 32 roles - lead (2013)
* Yokai Ningen Bem as Bem - lead (2012)
* Gokusen: The Movie as Odagiri Ryu (2009)
* Yuuki as Yuuki - lead (NTV, 2006)
* 15th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Annual): Best Actor for Yokai Ningen Bem
* 71st Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor for Yokai Ningen Bem (2011)
* 15th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Oct-Dec 2011): Best Actor for Yokai Ningen Bem
* 13th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Annual): Best Actor for Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
* January-March 2010 TV Navi Drama Awards: Best Actor for Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (2010)
* 13th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Jan-Mar 2010) : Best Actor for Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
* 12th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Jan-Mar 2009): Best Actor for Kami no Shizuku
* 1st Astar TV Drama Awards: Best New Asian Star of 2007 for Japan (2007)
* 47th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor for Nobuta wo Produce (2005)
* 44th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Supporting Actor for Gokusen 2 (2004)
* 8th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix: Best Supporting Actor for Gokusen 2 (2004-05)