Jyongri (born September 30, 1988 in Osaka) is a Japanese J-Pop singer of Korean ancestry currently signed with TOSHIBA-EMI. Her debut single "Possession" / "My All For You" was released December 13, 2006.
Jyongri attended Osaka International School, and is fluent in both English and Japanese. She began learning to play the piano at the age of eight. In 2004, when she was 15 years old, she attended a 5 week long summer program at the Berklee College of Music.
She released her second single, "Hop, Step, Jump!", on February 21, 2007. Her first album, Close to Fantasy, will be released on March 21, 2007.
* Stage Name: JYONGRI (ジョンリ)
* Real Name: Jyongri Cho
* Birthday: 1988.09.30
* Birthplace: Osaka
* Blood Type: O
* Height: 161cm
* Favorite Movies: Sister Act 1 & 2
* Weaknesses: Sports, compliments, holding-in a laugh, insects
* Motto: "Don't worry, be happy!," "Your dreams will come true!," "The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love and to be loved in return."
* First CD Bought: "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"
* Favorite Artists: aiko, Alicia Keys, Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel, BoA, Dreams Come True, Jamie Cullum, Jewel, John Mayer, Ketsumeishi, Lauryn Hill, Luther Vandross, Natalie Cole, Norah Jones, Ozaki Yutaka, Sarah McLachlan, Spitz, Utada Hikaru, Whitney Houston,
* Favorite Books: "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom, "1 Litre no Namida"
Jyongri comes from a multi-cultural background. Brought up in Osaka, she attended Osaka Senri International School (the same school that CORE OF SOUL vocalist Nakamura Fukiko attended) from when she was four until she was 18, hence becoming fluent in both English and Japanese. Where music was concerned, she started taking classical piano lessons at four years of age. Later she took up the violin (at age 10) and the guitar (at age 16) as well.
After seeing the Whoopi Goldberg films Sister Act and its sequel Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit when she was eight years old, Jyongri developed an interest in gospel. It wasn't until Jyongri was 11 when she decided to become a singer; she started writing her own lyrics at this age.
In the summer of 2005, Jyongri traveled to Boston to attend the prestigious Berklee College of Music for a five-week summer performance program. During this period Jyongri started to write her own music. Jyongri started working on her musical activities in June 2006 after graduating from Osaka Senri International School. In September a music video for a ballad titled Wherever started airing on music video channels, despite the fact that Jyongri had not debuted yet. In October, Jyongri enrolled in the famed Waseda University.
Two months after the enrollment, Jyongri released her debut single, Possession / My All For You. Possession is an upbeat dance track while My All For You is a ballad. The single itself featured nine tracks, including instrumentals, remixes and a cappella tracks. The single debuted at #16 on Oricon charts and so far has sold over 20,000 copies.
A second single was quickly announced with the mid-tempo Hop, Step, Jump! for February, and a debut album Close To Fantasy following it exactly a month after. Hop, Step, Jump! was not as successful as her debut, only ranking at #32 on the charts.