Japanese Themed Books You've Read.

99 posts  ·  created 1decennia ago by kumasan  ·  last post 3yr ago
Back  |  Forums    Books & reading    Japanese Themed Books You've Read.

kumasan
1decennia ago
269,465 jpops
permalink If there are any Fiction/Non-Fiction books you have read related to Japanese culture then please share your recommendations. :otsu:

I don't get as much time to read as I would like but one series of books I highly recommend is the "Tales Of The Otori" by Lian Hearn. :D

The first book in the series is "Across The Nightingale Floor" The series has 4 books at present with the release of the latest "The Harsh Cry Of The Heron" ^^

They are great books and suitable for both male/female readers. The story follows on from each book and has romance for the girls and the whole Obiwan/Luke Skywalker thing going for the guys. :high5:

For more CLICK HERE

xaosmx
1decennia ago
594,146 jpops
permalink i've read memoirs of the geisha, kinda based on a true story. it's really good. learnt alot about the geisha culture. it's voted in the top 100 list of must read books. oh..and they've made it into a movie (2006).

Rysuke
1decennia ago
560 jpops
permalink read be with you BOught the novel and just finished it. Kinda nice story and I just bought The Kouga Clan Book where the anime Basilisk is based on

bluesweater
1decennia ago
392,055 jpops
permalink i've read Hirotada Ototake - No One's Perfect.. :otsu: :otsu: :otsu:
inspiring...

princessmarisa
1decennia ago
2,182 jpops
permalink (Hi I'm new :wave: :) )

Wrong about Japan is a short but sweet read, and I am really
enjoying Hokkaido Highway Blues at the moment, both are travel based novels about westerners in Japan and their very varied experiences.

I really loved Memoirs of a Geisha when I read it a good few years ago, but the movie spoiled it for me somehow.

I read some more serious stuff too while at Uni, but the names escape me now, I may have started Silence, but I do not remember finishing it.

A very good online read for a laugh is I am a Japanese School Teacher, online blog about someone on the JET program and how the kids they teach range from endearing to manic.

sops
1decennia ago
1,879 jpops
permalink a japanese themed book ive read is this book called JAPANESE SLANG:UNCENSORED. personally, i thought it was sooo funny cause the terms that if u'd ask some jap person, they'd say, "oh, no we dnt say anything of the kind." so i'd read it if i were u ppl. :angel: :rock: :rock: :rock:

RichardChan84
1decennia ago
2,094 jpops
permalink Haha i have that book too :)

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink Murakamis Haruki Kafka on the shore, the wind-up bird chronicle, a wild sheep chase. Really recommend those

LittlePrayer
1decennia ago
510 jpops
permalink i just read anime.... LOTS AND LOTS OF ANIME RAWR/manga

dilaChan
1decennia ago
24,609 jpops
permalink I've also read "Memoirs of a Geisha" and Kyoko Mori's "Shizuko's daughter" (I'm not sure if that's the right title, I used the German titel) [edit]Last edit by dilaChan on Wednesday 14 May, 2008 at 16:36 +3.8%[/edit]

deadpixel
1decennia ago
91 jpops
permalink Battle Royale is a really good book :) (i enjoyed the film too)
i am aware that they made a manga based on the story, but i haven't read that

Also, the original Ring by Koji Suzuki, which the manga adaptation, original Japanese film and later Hollywood remake were all based upon. Therer is actually a trilogy of books - Ring, Spiral and Loop - all of which are good, though personally I feel Ring is the best. I also prefer the original story to the film version, as many important features were changed in the transition from book to film, not least the identity of the central character!

FlameHazeShana
1decennia ago
2,530 jpops
permalink The Samurai's Tale.

I enjoyed it back in 7th grade, when it was assigned to us.

Jpoprules
1decennia ago
5,985 jpops
permalink uhh The outsiders and the yellow moon

NeonCrucifixion
1decennia ago
14,108 jpops
permalink Read "The Teahouse Fire". It's excellent. It's about an American girl in the early 1900s who travels to Japan with her missionary uncle. I read it while I was in France this past March and was enthralled by it. I couldn't put it down. It talks a lot about the tea ceremony. I now know what matcha is. If I liked green tea, I'd probably try my hand at the tea ceremony but since green tea doesn't make me go yumm, I'll pass. But I would love to watch a tea ceremony. And I have to agree with whoever mentioned "Memoirs of a Geisha". It is a fabulous book. I read it in one day. The protagonist is very real, down-to-earth, tells-it-like-it-is. I definitely love the book. Oh!! And "American Fuji" by Sara Becker (I think that's the author) is about an American teacher living in Japan. Very good book. I highly recommend it as well!!

NeonCrucifixion
1decennia ago
14,108 jpops
permalink Oh! I'm reading "The Tale of Genji" right now. It's a huge book, at least the unabridged version is. It starts off kinda slow, though. I'm still not enthralled by it. I wonder when it'll get better to read. But anyway, it talks about ancient Japan, so if you're interested in historical Japanese fiction, try it out!

Also, I just noticed that Kyoto and Tokyo have the exact same letters in them.

Novia
1decennia ago
366 jpops
permalink I've only read 1st tom of 'Tales of the Otori' :/ But I'm going to read a lot of books about Japan xD What do you recommend ??? :otsu:

KATTUNandFahrenheit
8yr ago
284 jpops
permalink i live in new york and u could call me Jess

Baer
1decennia ago
330 jpops
permalink My favourite writer is Haruki Murakami.
I love most "Naokos Smile".
I read it in German language, I`m not sure
that I used the right English Title.
Best wishes

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink i adore murakami! yesterday i finished "gai-jin" by james clavel. i like historical books so i liked that one too. it's about foreigners in japan somewhere in 1860's
so today i will have to go to library and look for another japan related book :)

samedioui
1decennia ago
801 jpops
permalink I've heard about the book written by Lian Hearn, however it's pretty hard to secure a copy from here. I had the book Memoirs of a Geisha but didn't finish reading it, instead I exchanged it with "Veronika Decides to Die". I recently bought a book about Tokyo, but I still haven't started reading...Now, I'm wondering where can I get a copy of Lian Hearn's book...

samedioui
1decennia ago
801 jpops
permalink By the way, have you read "The Tale of Genji" by Lady Murasaki? I bought the book but.... I can't find the time to read it... However, I'm kinda sure that it's good.

marshmallowpie
1decennia ago
168 jpops
permalink you should try Bannana Yosimoto's books she's a nice author,i read one of her recent novels "Tsugumi" it's a beautiful book, it really made me feel like i was on a little japanese shore town

dilaChan
1decennia ago
24,609 jpops
Quote by marshmallow pie
you should try Bannana Yosimoto's books she's a nice author,i read one of her recent novels "Tsugumi" it's a beautiful book, it really made me feel like i was on a little japanese shore town

hehe yes! I'll read N.P. after I finished a book from Yi Munyol. :)

bluesweater
1decennia ago
392,055 jpops
permalink just finished read OUT - Natsuo Kirino in 2 days.. lol.. that's an awesome novel.. nice plot, nice story and nice trick :RBheart:

this book was also nominated for the 2004 MWA Edgar Allan Poe Award in the Best Novel Category, and won 51st Mystery Writers of Japan Award :RBhalo:

MizEm
1decennia ago
921 jpops
Quote by bluesweater
just finished read OUT - Natsuo Kirino in 2 days.. lol.. that's an awesome novel.

Oh my gosh I am soo excited to read some of her books, I just dicovered her recently! Another author that sounded like they might be good, in the same genre, is Miyuki Miyabe.

I'm reading Murakami's "Sputnik Sweetheart" right now. I finished "After Dark" and while ago and absolutely loved it! Felt just like being in Tokyo while reading it. :)

kaldaddy1
1decennia ago
3,834 jpops
Quote by MizEm
[Quote by bluesweater]

Oh my gosh I am soo excited to read some of her books, I just dicovered her recently! Another author that sounded like they might be good, in the same genre, is Miyuki Miyabe.

I'm reading Murakami's "Sputnik Sweetheart" right now. I finished "After Dark" and while ago and absolutely loved it! Felt just like being in Tokyo while reading it. :)
You would probably like Shogun...

MizEm
1decennia ago
921 jpops
Quote by kaldaddy1
[Quote by MizEm] You would probably like Shogun...

Oh? :) Who is the author? I don't think I know it. ^^;

nacho
1decennia ago
21,523 jpops
permalink Haruki Murakami is pretty good. I've read Kafka by the Shore and After Dark. I like how he narrates the story, especially in Kafka by the Shore.

Memoirs of a Geisha is also good.

And I've read this collection of Japanese horror stories. Pretty good. I forgot the title though.

Moonbleach18
1decennia ago
4,437 jpops
permalink I really like Haruki Murakami. He is an amazing writer. My favorite by him is After Dark. But Dance, Dance, Dance is also really good I have read like almost all his books I have like 7 of his books he has to be one of my favorite authors. But lets see...I've also read memoires of a geisha that was good too. But I would really recommend Haruki Murakami he's awesome. :otsu:

chibihikari
7yr ago
1,216 jpops
permalink hi ^^
fine, thanks for asking ^^
and you?

durikaktus777
1decennia ago
961 jpops
permalink I just read 2 japanese themed books: Hirotada Ototake-No One's Perfect and Toto-chan

weupzz
1decennia ago
6,499 jpops
Quote by bluesweater
just finished read OUT - Natsuo Kirino in 2 days.. lol.. that's an awesome novel.. nice plot, nice story and nice trick :RBheart:

this book was also nominated for the 2004 MWA Edgar Allan Poe Award in the Best Novel Category, and won 51st Mystery Writers of Japan Award :RBhalo:

Wow, you read that in just 2 days? What a speed, I needed a week to finish that. I agree with you that novel is good. I love the setting, the characters, the plot twist and the dark theme of it. Seriously recommended for thriller fans!

Ryuu88
1decennia ago
182 jpops
permalink i've read Memoirs of a Geisha and Stupeur et tremblements by the French writer Amelie Nothomb

nacho
1decennia ago
21,523 jpops
Quote by MizEm
[Quote by kaldaddy1]

Oh? :) Who is the author? I don't think I know it. ^^;

James Clavell

Kazuha
1decennia ago
784 jpops
permalink hmm I would recommend the Sano Ichiro series by Laura Joh Rowland. It is about japan in the Tokugawa period. The detective Sano Ichiro, whos in charge of the crimes happening in the palast of Tokugawa (not Ieyasu, one of his heirs), is a samurai and always tries to find the truth etc etc.
the books are very informative and tell much about historical Japan, sometimes also about the situation of women in those times since Sano is getting wed to a feminist in book number 4^^

I would recommend "Weg zu Japan" but this book is unfortunately only in German:(

KATTUNKAMExROX
1decennia ago
386,752 jpops
permalink hmm well the only books that i've read pertaining to japanese books would be Memoirs of a Geisha which i really like and The Tale of Genji which is super long if you don't have the translated book but the one im reading actually makes sense

cottoncandy
10yr ago
6,247 jpops
permalink I really liked Battle Royale too. But lets just hope that Japan is nothing like what it is in the book :P[edit]Last edit by cottoncandy on Tuesday 06 Jan, 2009 at 11:00 -37.2%[/edit][edit]Last edit by cottoncandy on Tuesday 06 Jan, 2009 at 10:54 +3.4%[/edit]

kimihana
10yr ago
1,785 jpops
permalink Battle Royale is fricken insane.<3 I read it in three days because it was so addicting and all the action, betrayal, and suspense made it impossible to put down.

I also have a book called "Dirty Japanese" that my friend bought me for laughs. It is indeed very funny. x]

allanah
10yr ago
537 jpops
permalink Have you guys heard of the book 'The Hunger Games'? Its topping the charts now because Stephanie Meyer (author of Twilight) recommends it, but its a complete and total rip off of Battle Royale. It makes me so mad :RBveryAngry:

Anyway, I would recommend Murakami (both; there's a Ryu Murakami too who can be fun to read) and Banana Yoshimoto. I've read Out and want to read the other books by that author. I just finished reading a book about the Shinsengumi- a group of men who want to protect the shogunate at the end of the Tokugawa period. They're featured in alot of anime and drama so it was a great read. It's non-fiction obviously, but told like a story which I enjoyed. Its called Shinsengumi: The Shogun's last samurai corps by Romulus Hillsborough (with many direct translations from Japanese books about Shinsengumi)

yamaMoe
10yr ago
2,059 jpops
permalink Erm... i read a lot about culture, but it's usually online somewhere...

but the book i read that was closely resembled to any Japanese anythign was Extras. and it takes place in furture Japan, then goes all crazy. it talks about Mt. Fiji, i'm pretty sure, and that's about it ahaha

Kurenai
10yr ago
677 jpops
permalink I read Kafka on the Shore by Murakami Haruki...
I always thought I would get a rational explanation in the end... but it didn't come^^
it's one of the weirdest books I have ever read, that's for sure!

Miki
10yr ago
3,049,881 jpops
permalink I am reading a lot of Haruki Murakami recently, but my last book was Battle Royale by Koushun Takami :RBhot:[edit]Last edit by Miki on Wednesday 25 Feb, 2009 at 10:26 +8.3%[/edit]

PedroRib
10yr ago
605 jpops
permalink I've read Memoirs of a geisha both in english and portuguese about half a dozen of times :RBsarcastic: I never get tired of that book :RBheart: I want to start reading Haruki Murakami's books but I don't have any time...[edit]Last edit by PedroRib on Sunday 01 Mar, 2009 at 01:09 +37.4%[/edit]

nielle08
10yr ago
1,626 jpops
permalink memoirs of a geisha by arthur golden http://www.arbookclub.com/covers/geisha.jpg
it's a good book... it's better to read the book first before watching the movie... the book is more detailed,,, :D :D :D

ah~ and haruki murakami's books!!!! i would recommend his works~

i've read demon in the teahouse and ghost in the tokaido inn by dorothy and thomas hoobler..... the ones with judge ooka and seikei in them....[edit]Last edit by on Friday 28 Aug, 2009 at 10:05 +51.6%[/edit]

KhooLM
10yr ago
408 jpops
Quote by bluesweater
just finished read OUT - Natsuo Kirino in 2 days.. lol.. that's an awesome novel.. nice plot, nice story and nice trick :RBheart:

yep read that before too. nice story, plot, and all but was a little too gory for me :X

princessroyalblue
10yr ago
232 jpops
permalink I read Memoirs of Geisha :) before I watched the movie.I'm currently reading Gail Tsukiyama's The Street of a Thousand Blossoms. I love reading Asian themed books. I learn so many things from it especially the culture. :RBhot:

razenne
10yr ago
1,127 jpops
permalink I like Japanese theme books. I like sisters of the sword

bluesweater
10yr ago
392,055 jpops
permalink i just finished reading Memoirs of Geisha last night.
it's an awesome book :otsu:[edit]Last edit by bluesweater on Wednesday 18 Mar, 2009 at 05:25 +6.8%[/edit]

LilMinxDee
10yr ago
380 jpops
permalink I've nearly finished the book " The Japanese: the often misunderstood, sometimes surprising and always fascinating culture and lifestyles of Japan" by Jack Seward.

Long title I know but it's actually really interesting for some cultural things about Japan. The chapter on humour is particularly good and had me in stitches.

I definitely recommend it to people who are intrested in Japanese culture.

Sarake
10yr ago
1,172 jpops
permalink i have read a book named "chain mail" its about some japanese girls and its a great book. the one i have is in swedish but by the name i think its a english book as a original

Back  |  Forums    Books & reading    Japanese Themed Books You've Read.
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service