SKE48 member Jurina Matsui has won AKB48's World Senbatsu General Election, garnering 194,453 votes.
Matsui was the odds on favorite to win this year's election. She had placed 3rd in the previous two elections, losing out to Rino Sashihara and Mayu Watanabe, both of whom were not on this year's ballot.
The idol's victory comes after 10 years of participating in the Senbatsu General Election. She placed 19th in 2009, but has raised in the ranks throughout the years, placing within the top 10 since 2012 and the top 5 since 2014.
Matsui is only the 5th idol to ever win the Senbatsu general election. The previous winners were Atsuko Maeda (1 & 3), Yuko Oshima (2 & 4), Rino Sashihara (5, 7, 8 & 9) and Mayu Watanabe (6).
Coming in second place this year was SKE48 member Akari Suda with 154,011 votes. She had placed sixth last year with 63,124 votes, increasing her vote total by nearly 91,000 votes.
For the second year in a row, NGT48 member Yuka Ogino was unable to convert a strong first day showing into a victory at the end of the voting period. After placing first on first day voting, Ogino ended up in fourth place.
This was the first year that members of AKB48's international sister groups were able to participate in the Senbatsu general election. The highest ranking international member was Cherprang Areekul with 26,202 votes, placing her 39th. She is the captain of the BNK48.
JKT48 did not participate in this year's World Senbatsu General Election due to its conflict with Indonesia's holiday Lebaran. It is widely believed that at least one member of the group would have received enough votes to place in a relatively high position.
The World Senbatsu General Election determined who will be participating in AKB48's currently untitled 53rd single. This will be released on September 19.
Check out the top 16 members below:
1. Jurina Matsui (SKE48 Team S) - 194,453 votes
2. Akari Suda (SKE48 Team E) - 154,011 votes
3. Sakura Miyawaki (HKT48 Team KIV) - 141,106 votes
4. Yuka Ogino (NGT48 Team NIII) - 81,629 votes
5. Nana Okada (AKB48 Team 4) - 75,067 votes
6. Yui Yokoyama (AKB48 Team A) - 67,465 votes
7. Tomuy Muto (AKB48 Team K) - 62,611 votes
8. Mina Oba (SKE48 Team KII) - 53,998 votes
9. Nako Yabuki (HKT48 Team H) - 51,620 votes
10. Miku Tanaka (HKT48 Team H) - 50,175 votes
11. Sarina Souda (SKE48 Team KII) - 48,671 votes
12. Juri Takahashi (AKB48 Team 4) - 48,100 votes
13. Mion Mukaichi (AKB48 Team A) - 47,458 votes
14. Akari Yoshida (NMB48 Team M) - 46,837 votes
15. Nao Furuhata (SKE48 Team KII) - 45,688 votes
16. Hinata Homma (NGT48 Team NIII) - 39,241 votes