Who wants new Japanese lessons?

23 posts  ·  created 4yr ago by Kuro93  ·  last post 3yr ago
Back  |  Forums    Languages    Who wants new Japanese lessons?

Kuro93
4yr ago
721 jpops
permalink Hi!

You can skip down to SHORT VERSION if you don't want to read the long story.

(Backstory)
[i]Fairly recently my close mate asked me if I would teach them Japanese. i told them youtube probably had lots of videos, so try that first. A month later they came back and asked me again, saying that they weren't learning anything. I told them to keep trying, it takes time. That was the last time he mentioned it to me.

Later I asked them how Japanese was going and they told me they gave up. When asked why, they said something like "I guess I'm not meant to learn Japanese." Because he already spoke two languages I found that rather odd for him to say, so I asked to see which videos he was watching. He had a CD set, a bunch of videos bookmarked, language software, and a few language DVDs and to my surprise he spent almost $800 on material. I didn't know he wanted to learn Japanese that much and felt rather guilty for casually turning him down. So to I agreed to help him learn with the stuff he bought, to make up for not helping in the first place.

To my shock and horror though, I found the "resources" to be complete rubbish. Phrases I'd never use, things I'd never heard before, horrible pronunciation, ridiculously bad acting etc etc, I couldn't believe someone was making money on those programs. The thing that did me in though was when he told me that the tutor he had hired, told him the first day "Japanese is a hard language and you'll never sound like a native...if that's okay."

I was livid (I still am, that's why I'm posting), because learning a language isn't that hard. In fact, it's easy! I've done it, so I know! I am appalled that people are actively discouraged when learning a new language like that, and I'm doubly upset that the resources available are so dull and terrible as well.

So, strange as it sounds, I am on a "mission" to make a better set of Japanese learning lessons. The reason? Purely for spite. I thought to myself, "I could seriously do a damn sight better than what's out there." so I am out to prove I can. The reason I came here to post and ask is because since I've started making the lessons (I haven't even begun teaching), I have received more interest than I was expecting. I didn't know people really wanted to learn Japanese, I thought they just liked anime or Japanese food or something.

Anyway, I wondered, if my friends want to learn Japanese then maybe others do too, so I am here to ask you. [/i]
(End of story)

Short Version

I am currently in the process of making a new and hopefully more entertaining style of lesson for new students I've agreed to teach Japanese to. Although I joined this forum to catch up with the latest music trends in Korea and China, I wondered if people would be interested if I created a series of online videos to learn Japanese.

Short videos, each video maybe 3-4 minutes long, but packed with things I see language programs so often weakly touch upon or even leave out entirely. Things like body language, tone of voice, inferred meanings, when to use what phrase, how to sound natural rather than "Watashi no namae wa..." etc. etc.

A little about myself, I am an English (secondary level) teacher for Asian students of 3 years (mostly I teach English in Japanese, sometimes Mandarin) I know what it's like to learn a new language because I wasn't "born" bilingual and because I've been there before, I love to help other people learn a new language as well.

If there is interest here, please let me know and I'd be willing to take the time and keep something like a feedback thread updated here so I know how to improve and make better lessons for those interested.

Please let me know if there is interest, and I'd be happy to help. I love to teach.

また、これからよろしくお願いたします。

-瀬良沢嬢 (user: Kuro93)

***If you want lessons, please post like this in the thread so I know more about who wants to learn***

Yes, please make some videos or I'm not interested or Maybe?
Age (only if you want. I just ask because if everyone is 16 or under, it's a different story than if you're all 35 or something. You get the idea).
Your current skill level in Japanese (i.e. I can sort of read Hiragana and Katana, or, I can understand some conversations, or, nothing at all! :) )
Why you want to learn Japanese (i.e. I love Japanese shows, or, I want to marry a Japanese man/woman, or, I work in Japan or plan to work in Japan and need to learn, etc.)

Zansouki
4yr ago
1,854 jpops
permalink im interested!! please make some videos!!! I AM over 18 years of age. I began learning Japanese through a ten lesson, text only website, so I can read some hiragana and katakana, but very few kanji. the website is pretty legit with pronunciation and grammar rules, but it is a bit boring having to read through all the rules and everything, so videos would definitely help. I am currently in college majoring in English, and i also wish to work in japan teaching english, but for now I would be happy with watching anime and Japanese shows without subtitles :)

lovevisualkei
4yr ago
41,247 jpops
permalink uhh i dont know if Im qualified to teach my 2nd language xD am I even qualified to teach english?? haha.

Kuro93
4yr ago
721 jpops
permalink ^^Who said Japanese was my second language? ;)

lovevisualkei
4yr ago
41,247 jpops
permalink not you, my second language xD

Eterne
4yr ago
4,768 jpops
permalink I'm very much iterested! I'm surprised you haven't got more response. I'd love to see your videos. Every book I've read presents the language very...stodgy. They never seem to cover natural, every day use (or even explain grammar at all, most of the time.)
I'm over 18. I started picking up Japanese through anime and such but not too long ago I decided to really buckle down and study; I know both Hiragana and Katakana and so far, a small handful of kanji. I used a website called Lentil to learn all of these, and I find it very effective, but unfortunately they just don't cover enough.
I am much better at reading than I am at speaking and I'd like to address the balance. At first I wanted to learn Japanese solely for games and music, but then I realised how much I really enjoyed the language itself, and translating in general.

yannychan
4yr ago
9,524 jpops
permalink I'm interested to learn Japanese words. My classmates understand some word, me too. We speak that sometimes in our classroom.

Ishnuala
4yr ago
140 jpops
permalink I would love to see what you'll be offering.
I'm twenty nine years of age and had been studying Japanese for about a year and a half now. Progress wise ~ I'd say that I'm around 1500 kanji from Remember the Kanji. I'm still in the process of reviewing around 30-40 of these on a daily basis (writing them with pencil and paper). I would say that vocabulary is my weakest point. I supplement that side with Anki flash cards but sometimes I find it challenging to find time to do both (review kanji + learn vocabulary all in one night).

Anyway, my main goal of learning Japanese is to one day be able to visit, find that perfect Japanese partner and live happily ever after. Kidding aside, Japanese has always been a part of me growing up, whether it is in music, shows, food, anime, comics so I finally gave it some thought and got serious with learning it.

Kuro93
4yr ago
721 jpops
permalink Hi all, OP here

I haven't made any videos thus far (not much of a response at the moment) and it takes a while to script and shoot honestly.

However, I have written lessons on paper (for my students and mates). If there are more people interested I'd consider posting them on the forum (within forum rules and permission of course) so those who can, could follow along with something at least.

Anyone else let me know if that would be of interest and I'll consider it.

Thanks!

kanami1414
4yr ago
64,535 jpops
permalink I wanna learn! :D

Ishnuala
4yr ago
140 jpops
permalink How's it going kuro? I'm definitely interested in seeing what you have to share and how it differentiates from other learning resources. These loopholes that you found may be a crux towards learning more efficiently. Will you still be able to share even just the paperwork?

Shir0
4yr ago
98 jpops
permalink I'm interested as well (:

NightAngel
4yr ago
1,816 jpops
permalink I'm interested too :)
I'm 16 and so far I can read the Kana, started with some Kanji and can understand short easy conversations~

Kuro93
4yr ago
721 jpops
permalink Sorry for being away for a while. Work had taken over my life (which ironically is teaching language).

In terms of sharing, I don't mind posting what I have. I just don't know where to do it, or what direction to take. I'm not really tech savy. Should I post a thread here, or is there some other "better" place?

So far (asked friends as well), there's not a whole lot of people who have asked for videos, so I think for now I'll just post what lessons in text (maybe some pictures if possible).

coolrey
4yr ago
2,589 jpops
permalink skip the kanjis so it makes learning more faster :O

Kuro93
4yr ago
721 jpops
permalink ^^Personal opinion, I think no one should dedicate themselves to learning Kanji before they can speak relatively well. Yes there are a few basic exceptions, but whenever gaijin try and "show off" their Kanji ability, it's not really impressive to anyone, especially Japanese. We'd much rather have a fluid conversation.

koto95
4yr ago
1,239 jpops
permalink I would be interested in learning! I'm 18 and half japanese, I grew up in an english speaking land and household so my mum never thought it would be useful and I never bothered :( Now I want to try because I want to live in Japan. I can read and write hiragana and I can hold a basic introduction and conversation...but of course I want to be fluent!

jsonglyrics
3yr ago
180,608 jpops
permalink I'd like to learn. I know hiragana and katakana. For kanji, I've learned until like third grade or something but the person who was teaching me quit or something. Then I came across your post today and thought that it was a good opportunity to restart learning again. Speaking, I am completely fine with. It's just the writing and reading kanji that is giving me trouble. On top of that, I don't have too much vocabulary on my list so I thought about adding some.

yannychan
3yr ago
9,524 jpops
permalink I'd really love to learn..

oreki
3yr ago
670 jpops
permalink OH MY i really love to learn japanese how i wish

Alicia4Shiroyama
3yr ago
183,422 jpops
permalink Me! I would love to learn with someone.

st4lker
3yr ago
320 jpops
permalink Hi! I'm 28, I would love good lessons. It's hard to know what's useful or not if you just skim through youtube. I would like to learn both for personal use (maybe travelling, and of course I like japanese movies etc) but also professional reasons.

jsonglyrics
3yr ago
180,608 jpops
permalink There should be a group chat or something so that we can chat together.

Back  |  Forums    Languages    Who wants new Japanese lessons?
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service