Strange things about your language

42 posts  ·  created 5yr ago by joshua10red  ·  last post 2yr ago
Back  |  Forums    Languages    Strange things about your language

5yr ago
109,500 jpops
permalink I made this foum topic because i want to know what strange things you have in your language.To begin with i will tell you something about my language: Romanian language has the same letters like english, with 5 more letters: ă, â, î, ș, ț.
Now the strange things :
two simple words:
1. rău
2. râu
Hmmmmmmm..... very similar words isn`t it ? but is not like this.
The word " rău" means bad and " râu" means river :confused:
so if you write wrong symbol over letter "a" the word will have other meaning ....
Very weird:confused: :D :D

5yr ago
5,158 jpops
permalink I don't think I find anything in my language weird. /cry
Or do I...
Well I find the word "Oppa" weird, I'm sure the entire world knows that world by now.
I just find that word lame. Bleh.
Oppa Gangnam Style.

5yr ago
109,500 jpops
permalink why u think is lame ?

5yr ago
18,664 jpops
permalink SIMPLE:
*1 in my language is pronounced as 4 in english language!

5yr ago
109,500 jpops
permalink hahaha :) :) :d

5yr ago
823,418 jpops
permalink u can find some words in my language has similar pronunciation as japanese but with different meaning...

5yr ago
24,519 jpops
permalink English is a whole mess of strange things!!
Enough... gh, sounds like f?
the letter A can be pronounced like 50 different ways
Bad means not good... but you can want something really badly
English hurts my head @^@

5yr ago
109,500 jpops
permalink english hurts my head too . i learn english from 9 years and now i have 18. i can`t say that i`m good but i`m not so bad :)

5yr ago
-6,791 jpops
permalink Spanish is... Just hard TwT, it has a lot of different times, and different ways, has words that are written in the same way, but pronounced different, pronunced the same but writte different, words that are the same almost but has a meaning completely different Ahhhhh and I've learn it like since i could remember but i can't still remember a lot of words that have accent or when did they have an accent e.e

5yr ago
109,500 jpops
permalink oooh
we have also in romanian language that words
"mobilă" for ex if you don`t say the accent right it might mean "mobile" or something that it moves :confused:

5yr ago
109,500 jpops
permalink anyway romanian and spanish language are like sisters :)

5yr ago
2,181 jpops
permalink or verbs suck for spelling ;)
that's sort of the only thing that I can think of :p

maybe also our dialects... Dutch is being spoken in the Netherlands and in Belgium, but I'm pretty sure that someone from the Netherlands would have a hard time understanding us, epsecially when we talk dialect :p so in other words, Belgian Dutch is some sort of dialect from the Netherlands Dutch ;) and you also have many many dialects in the Belgian Dutch :)

5yr ago
11,740 jpops
permalink There is something quite strange, it has to do with some characters in the alphabet and the way the are read. I'll show you what I mean ;)

In the Greek alphabet there are 5 ways to write "i" (see "i" in "ring"). These 5 ways are:
Η η, Ι ι, Υ υ, Οι οι, Ει ει (written in capital and "small" letters)

There are also 2 ways to write "o" (see "o" in "orchestra"). These 2 ways are:
Ο ο and Ω ω (written in capital and "small" letters)

And there are 2 ways to write "e" (see "e" in "elephant") as well. These 2 ways are:
Ε ε and Αι αι (written in capital and "small" letters)

4yr ago
2,584 jpops
permalink My language-Belarusian-has historically 2 alphabets: with traditional Latin characters(few people know how to write in it) and with Cyrillic characters (it is used everywhere). We have problems with our Grammar, because the rules change very fast, the latest changes were made some 5 years ago. So, I don't really know, how I should right Tokio now: it's either Токіа or Токіо or even Токіё. That's why a lot of linguists try to spell everything according to the rules of 1920 or something year.
We've got a lot of soft consonants, dz' z', s', ts' and you can always tell a Belarusian from a Russian person)

4yr ago
810 jpops
permalink almost no one who come from somewhere else cant say æ å or ø

4yr ago
2,584 jpops
permalink And you enjoy it watching them try :D I would :D

4yr ago
810 jpops
permalink can say *

4yr ago
1,717 jpops
permalink The 'e' pronunciation in my language, Malay, can have 2 sounds. One sound is 'Apart' and another is 'Breaking'. One spelling can have 2 pronunciation and different meanings.

Semak (Apart pronunciation): Messy
Semak (Breaking pronunciation): To check

4yr ago
1,798 jpops
permalink English has a lot of words related to animals: words for male animals, female animals, groups of animals, baby animals, animal meat.

For example
male horse: stallion (gelding if he's had the 'snip')
female horse: mare
baby horse: foal (can also say 'filly' if female and 'colt' if male)
group of horses: herd

male sheep: ram
female sheep: ewe (meat from an adult sheep is called mutton)
baby sheep: lamb (also the name for its meat)
group of sheep: flock/herd (this is the only four-legged creature that can be in a flock, otherwise flock is for a group of birds only)

4yr ago
1,339 jpops
permalink If I will translate my own language to Japanese then it will be weird..
Example: Baka is cow in my own language meanwhile in Japanese it is Stupid or fool. Hana in my language means accusing someone in Japanese it is flower.
Sara means close and in Japanese it's plate.
And a lot more... hahahaha.. cool and sounds fun..

4yr ago
39,200 jpops
permalink I speak English natively yet, I still find the language itself completely weird. The word 'Aisle' for example, why the heck is there an A in it?? Like seriously!! >_<

4yr ago
1,717 jpops
permalink For me, it is more on why the heck is there a S in it lol.

4yr ago
680 jpops
permalink Lots of memorization. Many things that you cant use logic to learn

4yr ago
24,217 jpops
permalink REMOVED - SPAM

4yr ago
15,541 jpops
permalink There lots of strange things about my language, English.
such as the words which and witch
One is: Which person are you talking about?
the other: Burn the witch!
which witch is which? :D

4yr ago
85 jpops
permalink I hate that no one that doesn't speak any kind of Portuguese can't pronounce my name correctly. It's João and it sounds like jooan'oo. I know it's weird but it's the most common Portuguese name; it's the Portuguese version of John, Johann, Juan, Jean, Ian (all the same thing).

4yr ago
93 jpops
permalink I speak American-English and I find everything about the language strange, mostly the pronunciation, especially now that I'm learning Japanese. :P Japanese pronunciation makes so much more sense to me. :)

4yr ago
1,442 jpops
permalink Language: Finnish

You can say things in many different ways which would confuse anyone trying to learn it. We use so many abbreviations in our daily lives, especially kids my age. You can throw words around, put them in "incorrect" places in a sentence and still make it understandable, to another finnish person.

4yr ago
49,883 jpops
permalink Silent letters. For example, "phone" the ph sounds like it should be f

3yr ago
373 jpops
permalink Language: Czech

It's a very difficult language. Not only grammar which is terribly hard even for native speakers (each noun has 7 grammatical cases and you have to know which paradigm to use to know how to write it - mostly because of letters i/y)
But the biggest problem for strangers is that almost none is able to properly pronounce some of our letters. The most difficult is propably the letter "Ř".

3yr ago
23,341 jpops
permalink Hmm strange things about my language or should I say my dialect? Well my Arabic dialect has a few weird things but I really love it! <3 (Libyan Arabic dialect): I will write using Romanji :P

Shin eljawu? This can mean how's the weather or how are you!! :D people who use other Arabic dialects always fall in this trap xD XD they will go saying the weather is really great today etc. And I will go I was asking about your weather! XD haha so the best is to say Saqa wo nawu which means cold and hot meaning you are fine .xD yeah I know so weird :confused:

Next! Libyan Arabic dialect is made up of mainly 4 languages : Italian, Berber, Turkish and of course Arabic! :D so we have a lot of words we use and even changed them slightly ex. Ciao in Italian means "hi" but in my dialect it means "bye" lol xD

We have other few weird things but let's end it here: Arabic romaji would be like Kaif7lk? 3lumum shenfukum ba3den bahi? 3ndkum 7jat gariba fi Lugtkum 7ta intu?, 3lamadun eh, 9h? XD

3yr ago
13,783 jpops
permalink Baka in english cow, other word of that "Maybe" Hahhaa.

3yr ago
8,853 jpops
permalink Italian grammar is really really difficult.. Even for native speakers. Believe me there are so many people who aren't able to use it properly and I can't really blame them ;;

3yr ago
18,788 jpops
permalink When you say Puta you're insulting someone whereas in spanish it means beautiful.. If you say baka it means cow, not idiot.

3yr ago
20,998 jpops
permalink I find it really funny how Czech has nothing to do with English, yet it has lots of identical words that even sometimes mean the real opposite. For example, "host" means guest, "sad" means orchard and "had" means snake. Also some words have more meanings, so when you say "nos", you could have simply meant a nose, or you have just ordered someone to carry something.

3yr ago
5,084 jpops
permalink There are two letters for every sound but they're basically the same. There are two symbols that are commonly used but it's weird.

3yr ago
712,383 jpops
permalink In my main language, Vietnamese, all the words have only one syllable. This means that the longest Vietnamese word is only seven letters long. That word is nghiêng, meaning 'tilt'.

My language also places a lot of emphasis on accent marks. A rather innocuous word like 'ca' can have many, many different meanings if you just add one accent mark on top of it. Using 'ca' as an example:

- ca = mug/cup or sing
- cá = fish
- cà = tomato or coffee, usually a second word is used to differentiate the two words
- cả = entire/all
- cạ = scraping

3yr ago
183,422 jpops
permalink - There are way too many words that mean the exact same thing.
- Only the most basic of words actually are pronounced the way they sound.
- The spelling of a word can be completely different from the way it sounds.
- Punctuations

2yr ago
248,885 jpops
permalink I'd say it's probably the 成语 or Chinese Idioms translation into English.

For example:
米煮成饭 translates to "Rice cooked becomes rice."
But it means something along the lines of "What's done is done."

2yr ago
11,065 jpops
permalink My mother tongue is Finnish.
I'm going to teach you this simple sentence in Finnish, but SURPRAISE, it has 9 differend meanings...

''kuusi palaa'' (try to pronounce it... x'd)
Here are all the things it can mean:
1.'the spruce is on fire'
2.'the spruce returns'
3.'the number six is on fire'
4.'the number six returns'
5.'six of them are in fire'
6.'six of them return'
7.'your moon is on fire'
8.'your moon returns'
9.'six pieces'

Also fun fact about Finnish language: one word can have over 2250 different forms... (good luck if you're trying to learn Finnish...)

2yr ago
57,000 jpops
permalink for one of the languages I know (Taiwanese),
there is no written language specifically for it and it is mainly just spoken

2yr ago
3,126 jpops
permalink Portuguese is really a weird language, especially when it comes to verb conjugation. It all changes for every single subject, if you know what I mean.
There are words that are exactly the same, in writting and speaking, but have a totally different meaning from each other, but they're so different that you can't get them wrong lol
Portuguese is known as one of the most difficult languages to learn and I can't disagree with that XD

Back  |  Forums    Languages    Strange things about your language
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service