Learning an instrument by ear?

7 posts  ·  created 2yr ago by weebllikespie  ·  last post 2yr ago
Back  |  Forums    General music    Learning an instrument by ear?

weebllikespie
2yr ago
710,910 jpops
permalink Something has been bugging me lately. I've come across some people who told me that it's [i]easier[/i] to learn the piano without needing to learn how to read music first. It was baffling for me at first because I thought like with most things, it would make more sense to start with the fundamentals and work your way up. Surely it would be [i]harder[/i] for most to recognize things by ear and reproduce them on an instrument.

I was a classically trained pianist~ I was taught musical concepts and developed my technique putting that foundation to practice. For me, having the ability to sight-read was extremely helpful during my grade piano stage. Improvisation and aural skills was something I developed over time.

But would it really be easier to learn everything by ear for a complete novice? I figure you'd need to have very good aural ability to pull it off. I mean, there are many famous musicians out there who can't read music. What do you guys think?

SaberRider
2yr ago
1,566,418 jpops
permalink Personally I think it depends on the person. People have their own approach to music so there really is no 'wrong' way to learn an instrument. It's definitely possible to become good just by ear.

It's just that I think learning by ear takes longer. It's not an overnight process and there are no shortcuts. After all, it's always convenient to know how to read music! :D

Lunatic
2yr ago
379,732 jpops
permalink I agree with SaberRider here. It depends on a person. Some people may be able to learn how to play it just by listening. It takes time and dedication... and practicing of course but I do think it is indeed possible

weebllikespie
2yr ago
710,910 jpops
permalink Thanks for your opinions guys, it was really enlightening. I think it's time I put to rest this debate I was having with some people on this topic.

I guess I'm a lot more conventional and old-fashioned than I first thought haha x3

SaberRider
2yr ago
1,566,418 jpops
permalink It's not a problem~ I'm glad it helped.

I tend to do things by convention as well~ for some people it's just a little overwhelming as a beginner to figure out what all the symbols on the sheet mean. As long as you can play the instrument, it's all good! ;)

Cactus
2yr ago
1,127 jpops
permalink I mean, and it depends on the instrument too, I think. It would be way harder to play piano by ear than clarinet. But, with non-melodic percussion, learning by ear and putting rhythms to those already-engrained beats and grooves can be really easy. Percussion music is very different and sometimes not having any experience and just having tons of 16ths and dotted-quarter/eighth bass beats put in front of you can be totally overwhelming lol XD

weebllikespie
2yr ago
710,910 jpops
permalink I was referring to melodic instruments rather than percussion but I get what you're saying. I had drumming experience and I know it is actually a lot easier to learn the drums by ear than to read the sheet. The sheet, well... I'd do just as well without it. Drum sheets can really get to you xD

Back  |  Forums    General music    Learning an instrument by ear?
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service