I need help translating a song title!

12 posts  ·  created 6yr ago by dressoftheskin  ·  last post 3yr ago
Back  |  Forums    Lyrics    I need help translating a song title!

dressoftheskin
6yr ago
4,290 jpops
permalink I really need help with the translation of a song by NEGA, it's a song that I've really been listening to, and no matter what, I can never find a good enough translation.
The song is
虚しき「生」の寓意「死」の真意

can someone please, please tell me what this means! ><

Okay, I just found out what bold means; can some tell me what the underlined "Munashiki" means?

Nightgaze
6yr ago
376,526 jpops
permalink well if you break the word up into "Muna" and "Shiki" Muna means Chest/Breast and Shiki means 4 seasons~

vk45de
6yr ago
29,015 jpops
permalink Japanese has a lot of homophones so you can't use simple root words like that ie ushiro = behind. ushi=cow. breaking up ushiro will never get you the cow that ushi means

Nightgaze
6yr ago
376,526 jpops
permalink Well I'm still learning Japanese I'm not fluent in it I was just rying to help -_-

vk45de
6yr ago
29,015 jpops
permalink No worries we all have the super noob stage, then slightly less noob stage, so on. I've thought onaji meant something to do with women so yeah.

dressoftheskin
6yr ago
4,290 jpops
permalink But in this case, not even my friend, who is studying Japanese understands what the "shiki" part is. I get that Munashii = Empty; but what about Munashiki? some form of emptiness?

vk45de
6yr ago
29,015 jpops
permalink I was thinking if munashii empty, then munashiki=emptiness. I'm bad with rules so I'll give you an example I remember.
Hataraku=to work
Hataraki=the work

naku=to cry
naki mushi=crybaby

munashiku=in vain

Maybe you can see a pattern?

dressoftheskin
6yr ago
4,290 jpops
permalink I can see a pattern here and I'm thinking that Munashiki would mean 'The Emptiness'
Thank you! ^^

1027jbwar3958
5yr ago
1,404 jpops
permalink well if you want to know that translate try to go in google it will help you

HimeMurasaki
5yr ago
3,908 jpops
permalink Google translate isn't accurate at all >.<
They went and translated something I put as "I want to eat a live bird" in Japanese.

sweetpowder
3yr ago
555 jpops
permalink Rofl, years late and OP isn't even a member anymore, but for the record, the -ki ending does not make it a noun. As I understand it, it's an archaic adjective ending that means exactly the same thing as the -i ending, only nowadays it's sometimes used to evoke a sense of the past.

虚しき「生」の寓意≒「死」の真意 is roughly: The meaning of an empty "life" ≒ the true intention of "death"

Look up the words in WWWJDIC for a more nuanced understanding: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

hayashimika
2yr ago
6,775 jpops
permalink I second this ;)

Back  |  Forums    Lyrics    I need help translating a song title!
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service