Favorite japanese author?

48 posts  ·  created 9yr ago by Zeeppo  ·  last post 2yr ago
Back  |  Forums    Books & reading    Favorite japanese author?

Zeeppo
9yr ago
378,518 jpops
permalink Who is your favorite Japanese Author that has been translated into English? I have been trying to find contemporary detective novels from Japan that are in English. I am looking for Japanese literature and cannot read than language. So if you know of something please let me know.

aiiyka
9yr ago
191,624 jpops
permalink My favorite would have to be Murakami Haruki (although I usually read his books in Japanese, the English version's not too bad)
It's not really detective... Actually it's not detective at all and probably not close to what you're looking for but he's really popular. I don't think it would hurt to check out a book or two

lunamoon87
9yr ago
29,436 jpops
permalink Natsuo Kirino is my favorite author. She writes crime novels that revolve around women, and the idea of women liberating themselves. Thus far I have read her novel OUT, and I loved it. I highly recommend it. It is about this woman who gets caught up in the world of disposing of dead bodies, but at the same time it is about the woman liberating herself and making her own choices. I love the way she writes, its very forward and strong. A great read indeed!!!!

FrahYagami
9yr ago
108 jpops
permalink I love Banana Yoshimoto, she write divinely *_* deals the psyche of the characters really well.

shigenya
9yr ago
866 jpops
permalink I love Koji Suzuki. His novels are so in depth and psychologically horrifying. He is very talented, and I highly recommend his works.

Taytay20
9yr ago
220 jpops
permalink well pretty much the only Japanese book ive read was,

[i]KIRA-KRA by Cynthia Kadohata.[/i]

it was way good. ill try not to spoil it but its about this
girl who admires her bigger sister much more then you think.
everythings like..well and good, but when the older sister of
hers gets ill, things fall apart! and its the little girls
job to make sure everything in her life and her familys life
is still KIRAKIRA (sparkling-shiny: in japanese)

(book def.) : ) try it out yo. not sure i said it right
or made u interested but still. its way good!!

Jaimie
9yr ago
5,910 jpops
permalink I agree with lunamoon87 in regard to Natsuo Kirino. Besides Out, I've also read Grotesque and Real World. These stories are dark, but excellent reads. I recommend.

Jaimie

AmeNatsu
9yr ago
187 jpops
permalink Haruki Murakami. Who else? He is one of the best authors.

Iynx
9yr ago
292 jpops
permalink I like the work of Suzuki Koji, Natsume Souseki and Akutagawa Ryuunosuke.

Kurenai
9yr ago
677 jpops
permalink I am only aware of having read books from 2 Japanese authors:

Haruki Murakami being one of them :D and really, this guy is amazing. So far I've read [i]Kafka on the Shore[/i], [i]Norwegian Wood[/i], [i]A Wild Sheep Chas[/i]e and I started reading [i]The Wind-up bird chronicle[/i]... (by the way I also adore the translation here: the translators really did a great job)

and from Shusaku Endo [i]The Last Supper and other short stories[/i]
amazing as well :)

but I would recommand [i]Kafka on the Shore[/i] :D (it's quite thick though, I hope yo udon't mind ;) )

Blackyuki
9yr ago
2,237 jpops
permalink Yoshimoto Banana is just :RBheart:
I adore all of her books!

And Murakami Haruki writes some crazy stuff :) It's always fun to read it.

bhaii
9yr ago
192 jpops
permalink OTSUICHI!

But i'm not sure if he published in english, sorry! I'm pretty sure his popularity must have generated some translation of his works. He's more of a dark, twisted, out of the ordinary kind of author. His works can be really sweet, sad, touching but at the same time express the twisted, psychopathic tendencies of a human being. His works usually start of slow and calm but then builds propensity into a glamorous finish. At least that's how i see it :)

Modvind
9yr ago
731 jpops
permalink Murakami Haruki is by far my favourite Japanese author. I love the surrealistic plots and metaphors inherent in most of his novels. The work that propelled him to fame, 'Norwegian Wood', however, is very realistic, although entirely fictitious. Quite possible the best novel I have ever read! :RBstickout:

Other great Japanese authors would be Osamu Dazai (especially 'The Setting Sun') and Ibuse Masuji ('Black Rain'.)

Vanilli
9yr ago
406 jpops
permalink I love Murakami Haruki-san and Kawabata Yasunari-san ^___^

Reubecca
9yr ago
287 jpops
permalink Aki Shimazaki is my number 1 (don't know if she writes in japanese, french or english though!)
Then Natsume Soseki ("I'm a cat"), YĆ“ko Ogawa, Dazai Osamu.

CaseNumber825
9yr ago
612 jpops
permalink My two favourite Japanese authors would have to be Natsuo Kirino and Haruki Murakami

I think out of the two of them I prefer Natsuo Kirino, and I think that's partially because one of my favourite books is Out

hatting
8yr ago
392 jpops
permalink Novala Takemoto :RBheart:

bokunenjin
8yr ago
1,359 jpops
permalink Novala Takemoto, "Kamikaze Girls", Fuyumi Ono "The Twelve Kingdoms", and Nagaru Tanigawa, "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"

callmecandi
8yr ago
334 jpops
permalink My fav Japanese author would be...Natsume Souseki :D old and dead, I know but like his stories like Botchan and the First and Third Dreams.

Moonbleach18
8yr ago
4,437 jpops
permalink I love Haruki Murakami!! He has been posted on here as an answer like five times but he is just that awesome. He doesn't write books about solving murders or detective stories, but in a way with some of his books (Like Dance,Dance,Dance & Wild Sheep Case) he does take you on an adventure with the main character searching for someone or something. The journey he takes you through in his books are so amazing that you can't help but just be pulled into it and then it tends to make you think about a lot of stuff, but it is a good kind of thinking lol. he is just amazing.

Shirosakii
8yr ago
99 jpops
permalink Hiro Fujiwara of Kaichou wa Maid Sama

Tite Kubo of Bleach

Kyousuke Motomi of Dengeki Daisy and Beast Master

Masashi Kishimoto of Naruto

MoCoChAnG88
8yr ago
21 jpops
permalink Murakami Haruki and Banana Yoshimoto are the best. My fav books are Kafka one the shore (murakami) and Kitchen (Yoshimoto). I simply love them :RBheart:

HydeQuarter
8yr ago
42,084 jpops
permalink Otsuichi.
read few japanese books that has been translated into chinese. i have deep impression of his story. i only read one book, titled 'GOTH' . it consists of few stories and the characters in each story is related. this book has been moved onto big screen, was being done into a japanese movie, only available in Japan, which was released last year. and i was surprised. think it is time that i should read his other works too.

ayumianna
8yr ago
323 jpops
permalink First of all, Haruki Murakami, Banana Yoshimoto, Yukio Mishima, Yasunari Kawabata.
Kobo Abe, Shuusaku Endo, Fumiko Enchi, and i'll stop here.

ChiakiMidori
8yr ago
409 jpops
permalink Erm, I love Kazuo Ishiguro, Haruki Murakami, Kobo Abe, Banana Yoshimoto, Koji Suzuki :RBheart: it's hard to choose the best from them - they are all awesome

Jiinx
8yr ago
288 jpops
permalink i don't know a lot of japanese authors but it has to be that guy who wrote ringu

tokyosinfonietta
7yr ago
471 jpops
permalink Haruki Murakami,deffinitely~

arulyl000
6yr ago
2,705 jpops
permalink Eiichiro Oda and Tite Kubo

MML
6yr ago
826,324 jpops
permalink Sorachi Hideaki
Aoyama Gosho

haff7
6yr ago
260 jpops
permalink Arina Tanemura

TakaiJo
6yr ago
199 jpops
permalink i read kyary pamyu pamyu`s book, Oh! My God! Harajuku Girl
it was pretti interesting lol

fureyakoki
6yr ago
144 jpops
permalink currently into Kato Shigeaki <3

sonia10
5yr ago
1,114 jpops
permalink Soji Shimada! he's the best!

jasumin
5yr ago
159 jpops
permalink i like Natsuo Kirino because i basically like all crime, suspense, thriller, and horror. but i've read a few of Haruki Murakami and i think he's not bad either. i really like norwegian wood...

oh, i also like Ryu Muarakami, he writes psycho thriller genre.

soloreji
5yr ago
40 jpops
permalink Kazuo Ishiguro,Ryu Murakami and Haruki Murakami

Miki
5yr ago
2,877,369 jpops
permalink Gotta be Haruki Murakami.

InspiringLight
5yr ago
11,740 jpops
permalink Haruki Murakami and Natsuo Kirino

Bleachgirlz
5yr ago
47,395 jpops
permalink Natsuo Kirino puts amazing detail into her books which involve suspence and lots of twists. her book real world was just AMAZING in my opinion lolz

MinorinFanboy
5yr ago
8,950 jpops
permalink Nagaru Tanigawa :)

AvianPain
5yr ago
1,026 jpops
permalink MANGAKA! Aoyama Gosho, Masashi Kishimoto, and Eiichiro Oda-sama! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

marisha
5yr ago
2,584 jpops
permalink Murakami Haruki and Akutagawa Ryuunoske, I think

anaksamea
3yr ago
10,679 jpops
permalink Murakami Haruki is my number one.

eyramhaye
3yr ago
10,657 jpops
permalink I am definitely a Haruki Murakami fan, though, I've only read his books in English.

yannychan
3yr ago
9,524 jpops
permalink Kazumi Yumoto

eyramhaye
3yr ago
10,657 jpops
permalink Haruki Murakami :D

Mhuri
3yr ago
69 jpops
permalink Erichi oda and kishimoto

Kuinyan
2yr ago
43,474 jpops
permalink Haruki Murakami

tsubasayamada
2yr ago
57,000 jpops
permalink i've read haruki murakami and kato shigeaki

Back  |  Forums    Books & reading    Favorite japanese author?
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service