Don't you hate when people say Asian languages are all the same?

183 posts  ·  created 7yr ago by MelodYume  ·  last post 2yr ago
Back  |  Forums    Languages    Don't you hate when people say Asian languages are all the same?

MelodYume
7yr ago
2,813 jpops
permalink I hate when people say that "japanese, chinese and korean are all the same". Or when they mistake the writing systems. I know that people are not obligated to know that, but they could do a small research before saying stupid things.

I thought about this when I saw this image:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxn72230FK1r06devo1_500.jpg

I think everyone should see this.

dotzcute90
7yr ago
179,417 jpops
permalink like this pics.. :)
yeahh, too many differences

MissKanda
7yr ago
690 jpops
permalink Haha, this picture would be very useful for my friends!!xD

Reigen
6yr ago
46 jpops
permalink absolutly agree with you~
lol ^^
escepecially chinese, mean : big n scary hahah><

YukiLee
6yr ago
2,032 jpops
permalink Hahahaha this picture made me laugh ! It's cute xD

suuekko
5yr ago
943 jpops
permalink "it looks like the symbols are making faces at you" omfg that is true xD example: (λˆˆβ€Έλˆˆ)

MochiChanDesu
5yr ago
2,319 jpops
permalink This picture sums up my life :D

BookmarkAHead
5yr ago
4,773 jpops
permalink That picture is so adorable xD

lovevisualkei
5yr ago
42,447 jpops
permalink what about the vietnamese, thai, khmer, tagalog, and indonesian languages? you forgot some there.

tegoallisu
4yr ago
3,143 jpops
permalink that pic is pretty accurate

lclsurfer
7yr ago
1,987 jpops
permalink yes, theyre very ignorant ;l

Zeeppo
7yr ago
378,518 jpops
permalink That is a wee bit racist. Actually that is very racist.

I have never heard anyone say that to me. Granted why would someone talk to a white guy about such things? Still, not cool

sazala
7yr ago
565 jpops
permalink Defintely hate it. Just exactly which or what part of it sounds or looks even REMOTELY the same?!

dotzcute90
7yr ago
179,417 jpops
permalink yeahh, sometimes i feel insulted... they think we speak jungle language, so we sound the same,, but as asian, i feel our languages are completely different, even melayu and bahasa indonesia has differences too..

kide777
6yr ago
76 jpops
permalink Yes, you got it right. Some people think Indonesian and Malay is just the same. But it's not. They similar but have many differences too! :)

Sindra
7yr ago
23,405 jpops
permalink I see why people think all Asian languages are the same: they are all written with symbols that don't make sense to the average person in the West. xD

I actually never heard someone say it to me though. I only had a lot of question asking me why I didn't study Chinese in stead of Japanese. That was a question I got a bit tired off, like Chinese is better! ...guess all Asian languages are equal in value to me. I just happen to like Japanese a bit more ^-^

MelodYume
7yr ago
2,813 jpops
permalink People also say that to me. They say it's more important to learn mandarin than japanese. What do they know about this? I think speaking mandarin is important and all, but japanese has its value too, the same value. In my case it's not just about business, I study Japanese because it's my ancestor's language, I have a bit of japanese blood and I like Japanese culture.

BrandonDias
7yr ago
272 jpops
permalink Forget English. I'll trade my English for Japanese anytime xD

Rainbowswirl
7yr ago
8,626 jpops
permalink I'll trade for Korean. :3

qweenaudrey
6yr ago
1,492 jpops
permalink I agree!! Ill trade for Japanese any day! ^^

tsubasayamada
3yr ago
57,000 jpops
permalink yassss i'll gladly trade for Japanese

MintyKid
7yr ago
5,349 jpops
permalink I use to think that as first, but the more I started to listen and watch asian dramas and music it go to the point that I could tell the different between the languages. I still don't understand it but at least I could tell the difference.

Ciel24
7yr ago
523 jpops
permalink Yea, I often get that too. My schoolmates would always ask me to speak in Chinese. After that, they would either laugh or speak gibberish in return.

I'm still kinda sad tho. "it's CHINESE if the symbols are all big and scary"

MelodYume
7yr ago
2,813 jpops
permalink "Big and scary" is what most people think about Chinese symbols. It's not that I agree with this, the author of the picture just wanted people to understand, so he/she had to "speak their language", if you know what I mean.

Hanachan459
7yr ago
8,547 jpops
permalink Yeah, it happens alot...
I'm learning Japanese. And once in geography lesson we were watching chinese movie about giant pandas.
And then one boy in my class said: She can translate.
I told: No, Idk Chinese I'm learning Japanese.
And then he was like: WTF! These aren't the same.
And I was like: No, these are different things.

I hate when people doesn't understand that Japanese, Chinese and Korean are different things. :angry:

Rainbowswirl
7yr ago
8,626 jpops
permalink I get that a lot.. o_o

frischyeogi
6yr ago
12,885 jpops
permalink haha
you are right ..
it makes it annoying ...
: D

Traditionally
7yr ago
125,475 jpops
permalink Written wise I believe more ppl can distinguished easily, but verbal wise I can say majority of the westerners can't distinguish.

Anyways traditional chinese characters are simply scary -_- Fortunately I learn simplified chinese. Japanese is hard to write as it uses traditional ones for all the kanji.

Sindra
7yr ago
23,405 jpops
permalink It's not true Japanese use the traditional kanji. Lots of the Japanese kanji are already simplified forms. (maybe those are the characters used in traditional Chinese right now, I don't know about that.) Just trying to say that the Japanese kanji are also simplified and not hard to write at all. (most of them at least)

KinugoshiDofu
6yr ago
4,306 jpops
permalink Japanese kanji is kind of a mix of traditional and simplified ^-^ my friend speaks/writes Mandarin and she says a lot of the characters are the same.

It's cute that you say Japanese is hard to write ^-^ you learn Chinese ? I'm studying Japanese and after I got my first 150 kanji down, I found that the rest followed more easily, even if they had ridiculously many strokes, because certain "patterns" return ^-^

I always think it's weird when people cannot distinguish the languages. I can understand, somewhere, if you don't hear the difference between Korean and Japanese, but with Chinese (Mandarin and Kantonese)... I can never understand how people can confuse it ! Because the sounds are so different ^-^

YukiLee
6yr ago
2,032 jpops
permalink I'm learning simplified chinese too, and sometime our teacher shows us the traditional ones... it IS scary xD

MelodYume
7yr ago
2,813 jpops
permalink Another thing I hate is when people mistake Japanese anc Chinese names. They say things like "Ling" or "Lee" are Japanese names, and I'm like "There isn't 'L' sound in Japanese".
And these things bother me a lot because I live in a city with lots, and I mean lots of Japanese families. I bet every single person here knows at least one Japanese descendant, so how can they mistake names and surnames? Japanese and Chinese names sound different too.

MissKanda
7yr ago
690 jpops
permalink Here where I live it's the same thing!

heartdreamer
7yr ago
1,848 jpops
permalink I hate it too! I meen ok I'm from Greece so there not many people from asia but still they cant say "Oh look at him/her a chinese guy" I seriously hate it! even more when these people use asian words without knowing the meaning behind them!!!

MelodYume
7yr ago
2,813 jpops
permalink Or when they 'try' to immitate japanese speakers by saying weird things which have nothing to do with the actual language.
It has already happened to me.

heartdreamer
7yr ago
1,848 jpops
permalink Yes that too! I know a guy that do it all the time! ggrrrr...

Zeeppo
7yr ago
378,518 jpops
permalink Well it all depends on how they are talking about the subject. If some says Spanish sounds like Italian that may not be bigoted. The reality is that Spanish and Italian share the same origin Latin. By the same token many Asian Languages have the same beginnings. Thus they have similarities.

Now the picture up top of the thread does not look cool. And it does look like a westerner was trying to be offensive or stupid.

It does remind me of a situation I was in a while back. I was set up on a date with an Asian woman. I new Sushi place opened in the South Side that week. I suggested we go there and she got bent out of shape because she was third general American and her family was Chinese.

Sometimes when a white guy wants sushi he just likes sushi. Sometimes when someone says something stupid they are just and idiot. And not all idiots are bigots.

MelodYume
7yr ago
2,813 jpops
permalink I agree with you, when someone says that the languages are similar it's not offensive. The problem is when they say these languages are the same, because that's not true.
For example, I wouldn't be angry at someone who says Spanish and Portuguese are similar, because it's true. But I don't like when they say Spanish and Portuguese are the same thing, or when they say Portuguese is just an weird way of speaking Spanish.

As for the picture, I guess it was made by someone that hates when those writing systems are mistaken. The language the author used may not have been the most appropriate, but I guess he/she was trying to explain in a way most westerners would understand, because that's how their mind works; They think the symbols are all big and scary and random. The author just wanted them to see the difference, he/she didn't want to be offensive.
I don't find none of them scary. Actually, I love kanjis, they are beautiful.

OshareKeiLover
7yr ago
190,721 jpops
permalink Of course Asian languages would be similiar, I mean we're around the same area of the world and our cultures and languages should have some similarities when developing. But that doesn't mean it's the same language at all. I mean there's some similarities with European languages too right? Asian languages have somewhat similiar characters but you could also argue that European languages are similiar in terms of writing and some speaking too. People who think that languages are the same piss me off. And those people who pretend to act "asian" when they don't understand anything about the country's culture or beliefs. If anything people who think that Asian languages are all the same are just ignorant.

shizuwut
7yr ago
157 jpops
permalink Oh god is te worst!
Everytime I tell someone I love Japanese bands someone has to say something like 'Oh but chinese sounds horrible!' and I reply 'well, I don't know about chinese music, I hear JAPANESE music' and everytime the same: 'Come on! They're the same!' agh!!

darksama
7yr ago
828,218 jpops
permalink 'lol are they deaf?' this would be my first impression. yeah... they have some similarities in writing... but when they talk it's totally different. even Chinese have too many ascent. i used to heard couple of people talking, there's a guy asking this girl what video she's been watching and she said it's Wonder Girl. then he asked her again, 'Japanese?'. and she just like 'yeah'. i almost laugh out loud. WTH? it's korean... not Japanese.

Zeeppo
7yr ago
378,518 jpops
permalink In interesting thing I have noted with Americans is think that Chinese is one language. We understand that Latin changed into half a dozen languages over a couple Milena yet we think Chinese is static for some reason.

It is very odd

shnozzberries
7yr ago
310 jpops
permalink So, when I was interviewing for a study abroad program at my school last year, it was around the time when the Tohoku earthquake forced my school to send kids home or to other parts of Japan. The interviewer asked me, "If you couldn't go to Japan...would you go to Korea instead, or something?" Uhhh, no. They are COMPLETELY different.

MelodYume
7yr ago
2,813 jpops
permalink I would say the same thing.

lexicona
7yr ago
355 jpops
permalink Although I also get annoyed when people do these things, you must understand that it's only when when you are surrounded by it. How many of us know the difference between Swedish and Finnish? Or Bulgarian and Russian? The point is that we should all try to be less ignorant, but also remember that not everyone is in love with Asia like we are and never get to see it.

I used to be super pissed too, but then I went abroad to Mexico and Ecuador and realized how stupid I am in the ways of Latin America or Eastern Europe...we are all ignorant of something!

Rainbowswirl
7yr ago
8,626 jpops
permalink Yep, people at my school always say that and I'm like "You are such an idiot, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese have VERY huge differences, obviously!"
How could people not notice the differences in the languages? xD
They think every Asian language is Chinese. o_O

himitsu05
7yr ago
3,294 jpops
permalink Probably 'cause they just really don't know >w<
I often get asked what's the difference and why I'm not confused :footinmouth:

SnowSpectrum
7yr ago
139 jpops
permalink YES it's so easy to tell them apart verbally and written. But every just wants to stay in a blissful state of ignorance I guess.

AlexXx
7yr ago
68,330 jpops
permalink Yes it's really annoying!! it's like telling that all european languages are the same :angry: but there aren't!! every asian language is special not chinese or japanese!!! and every person from asian countries are not chinese!!! :angry2:

akinore
7yr ago
447 jpops
permalink It's ok if they can't tell the difference in the language when hearing it, cause I only could do that after listening to it a lot. But it is really annoying if someone always asks you if you can speak chinese after you have told them trillions of times that you're learning japanese. And then thei're like: what, it's the same anyway! that is truly annoying!!!!!! -_-#

Back  |  Forums    Languages    Don't you hate when people say Asian languages are all the same?
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service