Best way to start learning Japanese...?

71 posts  ·  created 1decennia ago by Lhiachan  ·  last post 3yr ago
Back  |  Forums    Languages    Best way to start learning Japanese...?

Lhiachan
1decennia ago
1,862 jpops
permalink I am bilingual (I speak English and French), but I want to learn to speak Japanese as well. I know a total of five words in Japanese. Does anyone have any tips? Thank you! Merci!

LunaLux
1decennia ago
31,969 jpops
permalink I'm trying to learn Japanese too. I'm currently taking classes though since I plan on minoring in Japanese Studies. I would say that if you want to learn on your own you should check out this site. You should start of by learning the basics, like how to greetings and things like that. You can learn from either websites or books but ultimately you need to study and practice a lot or you will forget everything. Watching japanese dramas, animes, tv shows, etc is helpful because you can pick up words or phrases. It is also good listening practice.
I have tried learning japanese before I started taking classes but I just didn't have the discipline to study enough so I didn't managed to learn much. I wish you the best of luck though!

Chouchou
1decennia ago
63,082 jpops
permalink I just know some basic things and I can read and write hiragana (still have to work on katakana :RBfrown: ). If only I had better skills! But I really haven't got enough time and, okay I'll admit it, not enough discipline.
But I'm determined to become a fluent speaker someday. :D

However, LunaLux is right about the good influences of dorama's and music. It can help a lot to get better listening skills and at the same time you're learning how to pronounce words and which sentences and words you're supposed to use in what kind of situations. :otsu:

Some sites that might be useful to you. :smilec:
- http://japanese.about.com/home/
- http://www.translasian.nl/6_japanese/conversation_en.php?c=462
- http://www.japanese-online.com/
- http://www.gyford.com/japanese/
- http://www.guidetojapanese.org/
- http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/
- http://shigemo.com/FFXI/nihongo_guide.html

buro
1decennia ago
936 jpops
permalink Its been touched on a couple times already. But with anything, if your learning for the first time it take discipline and alot of it. Some day's you will not feel like studying. But you just have to keep going. I wish I kept studying when I first started about 5 years ago maybe I would be further along. Yes you can watch Anime and Drama's but you can NOT and will NOT learn Japanese that way. But you will pick up slang and slang is something you will need to know eventually but its not as important as formal Japanese. When you get your basics down and no how to speak polite then you can learn more casual forms of Japanese to use with friends and what not. But please don't think you can learn from Anime. I am learning on my own and have successfully taught myself to read and write hiragana and katakana and some kanji(thats a different story). While learning its important to nail the pronunciation early as to not have too much of a gaijin accent. Which for the most part you may not totally get rid of after all your not a native speaker so its expected but you will be surprised as to how natural you can sound if you speak out loud and really work on pronouncing your syllables correctly. 例えば、I am black and when I speak to Japanese people they are blown away that I speak it clear and natural(I am not tooting my own horn). So it can be done, if you have the means to take a class DO IT. But if not there are loads of other means being the internet or text books. Here are some links I hope you find usefull

http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/(this is the book I use for study)

well I hope that helped but others will post more ads for ya

KatoRina
7yr ago
1,728 jpops
permalink ano....i don't really want to argue or something but i disagree with that....i learned hungarian purely by listening and i speak it as like a native (-_-)" and i was learning japanese by watching dramas (with subtitles) only and i can have simple conversations with a japanese teacher i know...sure..now i'm learning grammar and everything from the net and books...but i learned hungarian without that...

KatoRina
7yr ago
1,728 jpops
permalink oh, by the way well done on learning japanese by yourself :D that's something i want to accomplish as well ^^

just4lizzy
1decennia ago
7,337 jpops
permalink i'm currently trying to teach myself japanese, but it all started because of all the jdoramas and jpop i've listened to. I also have this weird habit that if i listen to a song i like, i have to have the actual lyrics so i can sing with it. beacuse of that, i started learning hiragana and katakana. now, i can read a bit of kanji too, just from romanizing lyrics and such. i'm not really aiming to be a fluent speaker, i mainly want to be able to understand most of it. I've learned some basic phrases, like how to say my name, the date, the time, and stuff like that, but my grammar is not that good. i haven't really found any sites that had good and compact information... but basically now i can get the gist of what they say when i watch dramas without subs, and i translated by first lyrics the other day... if you like it enough, you can learn quickly... (my parents don't like me wasting time by learning japanese, so i have to do it discretely. but, i've gotten this far within about 6 months)

keoskey
1decennia ago
638 jpops
permalink I think the best way to get learn some Japanese is to watch some Japanese movies with Japanese with english subtitles and learn what there saying threw that i did that for awhile before joining Japanese when i was in 8th grade now its 11th grade for me and i can almost speak fluently.

buro
1decennia ago
936 jpops
Quote by keoskey
I think the best way to get learn some Japanese is to watch some Japanese movies with Japanese with english subtitles and learn what there saying threw that i did that for awhile before joining Japanese when i was in 8th grade now its 11th grade for me and i can almost speak fluently.
Yea you got that right! Haha you make me really have to think about what you write in the japanese forum! Your making use Japanese in a way I never practice for. Thanks I guess I should say. I need more conversation practice. ^_^

KaylaNoelle
1decennia ago
425 jpops

I am completely self taught and not a good student at all :RBsealed:
But~ I have some websites and stuff are alsot he same and we can help eachother~ :)

Raikiri999Angel
1decennia ago
3,875 jpops
permalink I'm trying to learn Japanese 2!!!
i know how 2 rite hiragana and i know basic greetings and stuff but, i cant rite Katakana for crap :RBcrying: :RBconfused: :RBcrying: :RBconfused: :RBcrying:
i got a book on how to write the basic 1,945 Kanji used in normal conversation. :RBfrown:

rashiyu
1decennia ago
2,708 jpops
permalink i know how to write hiragana and katakana but kanji confuses me...^^hehehhei love speaking nihonggoO!!!! but i cant get some of the grammar right...:D

KaylaNoelle
1decennia ago
425 jpops

if any one is really serious about studying japanese I would love to have a study buddy 'o'~

Raikiri999Angel
1decennia ago
3,875 jpops
permalink My skool might offer Japanese nxt year

rashiyu
1decennia ago
2,708 jpops
permalink woaw! goOd for u..sadly, nihonggo isnt in the high schoOL curiculum here..:(..ARGH!!!

FlameHazeShana
1decennia ago
2,530 jpops
permalink I started learning some Japanese phrases through anime. Then I got further into the language by memorizing the hiragana and katakana, and studied a bit of grammar through a website called Nihongo o Narau. I'm currently trying to study the kanji, but I need a better way of memorizing them, because just writing them out and then staring at them doesn't help much.

KuroNeko
1decennia ago
1,293 jpops
permalink Wahh... I feel so behind lol, I still haven't learned my characters. My high school doesn't offer Japanese as a course, so I rely on song lyrics/translations and anime >.< So I guess where I'm at is listening and knowing what they say but not really what it means. I think I have the most problem with grammar D=

..it's hard to learn a language without a teacher. :surprised:

rashiyu
1decennia ago
2,708 jpops
permalink SAME HERE...i know the words, but i dont know how they're all placed in the sentence for good grammar...need som1 to clarify that for me..:(

CharlesDefon
1decennia ago
297,686 jpops
Quote by buro
Its been touched on a couple times already. But with anything, if your learning for the first time it take discipline and alot of it. Some day's you will not feel like studying. But you just have to keep going. I wish I kept studying when I first started about 5 years ago maybe I would be further along. Yes you can watch Anime and Drama's but you can NOT and will NOT learn Japanese that way. But you will pick up slang and slang is something you will need to know eventually but its not as important as formal Japanese. When you get your basics down and no how to speak polite then you can learn more casual forms of Japanese to use with friends and what not. But please don't think you can learn from Anime. I am learning on my own and have successfully taught myself to read and write hiragana and katakana and some kanji(thats a different story). While learning its important to nail the pronunciation early as to not have too much of a gaijin accent. Which for the most part you may not totally get rid of after all your not a native speaker so its expected but you will be surprised as to how natural you can sound if you speak out loud and really work on pronouncing your syllables correctly. 例えば、I am black and when I speak to Japanese people they are blown away that I speak it clear and natural(I am not tooting my own horn). So it can be done, if you have the means to take a class DO IT. But if not there are loads of other means being the internet or text books. Here are some links I hope you find usefull

http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/(this is the book I use for study)

well I hope that helped but others will post more ads for ya

That is a good book. My university uses those text books for the first few semesters. It really just does take time and focus. Also listening to streaming feeds of the news in Japanese helps also, since they use more formal grammer and structures often. you can do so here --->http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/stream/index.htm

prettypanda
1decennia ago
1,865 jpops
permalink Try japanesepod101.com Its this awesome website where you listen to a bunch of podcasts and they have lots for every level, from newbie - advanced intermediate.
Its a paid subscription thing, but if you do the free trial its for a week and you don't need much except for your e-mail and stuff. Its awesome, it was definitely a big help for me because it not only teaches like the basic stuff, but it also teaches thing you can actually say, not something like "this is a pen" or "Where is the bathroom" although you learn those phrases too, but yeah definitely check it out! ;) [edit]Last edit by prettypanda on Friday 09 May, 2008 at 02:40 +2%[/edit]

Jpoprules
1decennia ago
5,985 jpops
permalink thanks luna the site really helps

Mihiyumi25
1decennia ago
2,208 jpops
permalink The best way for sure is to go to Japan
Another way is the internet
:) :)

weirdnshort
1decennia ago
272 jpops
permalink I have poor concentration so I like short vocabulary lessons...instead of getting babyed through pimsleaur (I can't sit through 1 hour lesson)
I'm trying out the audio lessons "learn in your car Japanese" I like it because they say a word and you learn it one at a time :) Well they don't really help you pronounce it like pimseulr (break it down) but it gets the job done...

summerday
1decennia ago
145 jpops
permalink http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/about

read this blog! :D

It's encouraging and explains a lot of methods on how to study Japanese properly in the fastest and easiest way.
It helped me a lot, so I'm now recommending it to you <3<3

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink i think watching anime or doramas is a very good way of getting used to language. for most ppl its the only opportunity to hear it. its also good if you repeat after actors. and you will always learn some new words too.
i have just checked out the site that FlameHazeShana recommended and i find it very good 'cause you can find there tables with kanji and learn them in the order japanese kids do

hikariyamada09
1decennia ago
10,928 jpops
permalink i'll give you tips!!!! first know the basic words like arigatou, onegai , gomen, watashi, namae...etc. next try to learn phrases by reading books.. like ogenki desu ka? or arigatou gozaimasu...... if you know at least 30 phrases then your ready to make a sentence like "anata wa nihon-go o hanasu-koto ga dekimasu ka?" if you can make at leat 50 sentences learn how to make a conversation like

(question)itsu ikimasu ka?

(answer)asu ikimasu

if you can make a good conversation now try to learn how to read and write japanese

やまちゃん

and you don't have to rush in learning how to read kanji.. it took me 3 yrs. to learn kanji i can read now but not much i'm still learning... so learning how to read kanji is very hard cause sometimes some kanji looks the same like person and tree.... and especially names i can't read names much....

so thats about it hope i can help!

eilonwe2
1decennia ago
17,708 jpops
Quote by LunaLux
I'm trying to learn Japanese too. I'm currently taking classes though since I plan on minoring in Japanese Studies. I would say that if you want to learn on your own you should check out this site.

Thank you for the website, it looks like it will be very helpful indeed. I've been reading a basic japanese grammer textbook that I bought so that I can get an understanding of word order and so that I can pick up the most frequently used words, kind of like the words "and, if , of, in , on, the" etc are frequently used in english. I've also been downloading all the romaji lyrics I can find so that I can practice translating them into english, this also helps me with word order the way things are sometimes phrased in japanese. I don't think I'm up to trying to learn any kanji yet.

I did purchase from ebay a really great CD that came with lots of shareware, including programs to drill me kanji and such. heres the link for one of the programs : http://web.uvic.ca/kanji-gold/ its freeware.

hikariyamada09
1decennia ago
10,928 jpops
permalink yes your right this is a good site!

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops

aisuru143
1decennia ago
500 jpops
permalink hope someone can clarify teaching me some grammars in japanese sentence..heheh

Jpoprules
1decennia ago
5,985 jpops
permalink yea i started to learn then i drifted away for like two days and 4got it all!!!

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink i haven't been practicing hiragana for 2 days now and remember it all :D it's already been useful with finding songs and gosh I'm so proud of myself :)
i wanted to ask you if anyone of you knows a page with hiragana news and i dont mean here Hiragana Times. I just found once that page where all the news were written in hiragana but i didn't bookmark it and i really need to practice reading it so any link to that kind of page will be appreciated

ninjasaiyan
1decennia ago
332 jpops
permalink I learn a little but it is hard to form the sentance.I MUST BE 100% FLUENTT!!! :RBveryAngry:
Anyone who know any cool slang by the way??

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink http://wakan.manga.cz/
great program for learning japanese kanji or chinese

ninjasaiyan
1decennia ago
332 jpops
permalink sentance formation is sub,obj,verb....right?

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink yes or object,subject,verb (SOV/OSV). Only verb is immobile :)
I wanted to ask you guys what should i learn: on'yomi or kun'yomi reading (chinese/japanese). Or both? :RBconfused: I'm really really confused and have no idea what to do. PLZ HELP!

Maximilium
1decennia ago
398 jpops
Quote by KSsince1987
yes or object,subject,verb (SOV/OSV). Only verb is immobile :)
I wanted to ask you guys what should i learn: on'yomi or kun'yomi reading (chinese/japanese). Or both? :RBconfused: I'm really really confused and have no idea what to do. PLZ HELP!

Well, I'd say both, but actually I didn't study it =P ... It was like .. everytime I learned a new verb or a new word ... I tried to memorize its reading .. for example, 「私はすしを食べる。」 - Here I'd try to memorize that 私 is read "WATASHI" and 食 is read "TA" ... and then I'd do some sentences practicing it.. or something like that ^^ !

The thing is .. try to memorize the Kanji you use.. I think that if you try to memorize many Kanji at the same time .. you'll probably forget all D:

Ok? XD ! .. I hope I said something useful D:

じゃー

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink i dont use kanji 'cause i dont know any :) well i guess i should learn both but there is so much of it :( i actually found jlpt requirements page http://www.jlptstudy.com/ and everything is pretty clear there :)
thanks anyway for your help. i'll try this out
i still need to learn katakana and gosh this is harder then hiragana :( but i'm sure i will learn it soon and will read it quite fast just like hiragana :)

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink does anyone know what that sign means: ー? Like in a word ブーツ or こーと.

Chouchou
1decennia ago
63,082 jpops
Quote by KSsince1987
does anyone know what that sign means: ー? Like in a word ブーツ or こーと.

I think it's when a vowel is supposed to be pronounced longer than normal. So, for example the words you wrote are not "butsu" but "buutsu" and not "koto" but "kooto". I'm not completely sure, but I guess that's what the sign is for. :smilec:

KSsince1987
1decennia ago
13,815 jpops
permalink dank je wel chouchou :) i think you are right. do you attend any japanese course in the hague?

Maximilium
1decennia ago
398 jpops
Quote by Chouchou
[Quote by KSsince1987]
I think it's when a vowel is supposed to be pronounced longer than normal. So, for example the words you wrote are not "butsu" but "buutsu" and not "koto" but "kooto". I'm not completely sure, but I guess that's what the sign is for. :smilec:

You're completely right =) !

Just let me complement with one thing D: .. this sign ー is not used in Hiragana ... just in Katakana .. ok ^^ !? Well, of course you can use it in Hiragana when you're writing things on internet, etc .. xD

Toukyou (pronunciation: tookyoo) ー> とうきょう, not とーきょー

See you =)

naally
1decennia ago
1,665 jpops
permalink you can go to wikipedia.org and click on wikiversity and type japanese in the search box and click the lesson :) thats it

lovelykitty
1decennia ago
134 jpops
permalink I'm learning Japanese through the internet, and I have a friend who went to Japan and the other day she gave an idea of what we could do to help me make sentences, so if you have a friend who's learning Japanese too it could be great :

One of you draws things on a sheet, thing you know the word, if you learned some on the internet. Then, with the words you know, you try to describe your drawing as well as you can to your friend, who has to draw what he/she understands, then at the end you compare! Then you switch places! It's fun and can help a lot, you use harder words, you can try to write them, you can do that with words or Kanjis instead of drawings too.

bonbon
10yr ago
3,844 jpops
permalink thank you for the sites people~!!! :) :)

RollingStar14
10yr ago
12,999 jpops
permalink I don't have time to learn Japanese on my own right now...but I want to learn it in college. I was wondering if anyone who speaks Japanese could tell me if that is too late to start learning? My goal is to become fluent by the time I graduate college. (hopefully also in French XD)

cookiecloud777
10yr ago
669 jpops
permalink I'm not sure if it has already been posted, but I go to this site -> http://japanese.about.com/ It teaches you how to speak japanese and other stuff as well :) hehe moi aussi je suis bilingue XD ANYWAY, yeah, it's very helpful ^_____^

Ganbatte! ! (this means "Good luck!" lol )

lexicona
10yr ago
355 jpops
permalink jisho.org is a great website!

Also, the first thing I did and the first thing I woulsd suggest doing is learning Hiragana and Katakana. It is their alphabet, so to speak. WIth that, you can start in with Kanji and grammar.

aiiyka
10yr ago
191,624 jpops
permalink so i don't know any good sites for learning japanese (b/c i already know the language) but i would be a bit wary of trying to learn the language from japanese shows. I would recommend learning japanese properly (like w/ lessons and such) first and then maybe watching shows to support what you've learned? I only say this just so people won't learn different words from different... dialects? (idk what to call 'em) and mix 'em together or something like that...

Yandere
10yr ago
1,986 jpops
permalink Some variation of or the method on this website: http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com

Learn at least hiragana and katakana, and kanji are important too, but people find it confusing to learn so many. So I recommend learning from the book that's mentioned on that website (Remembering the Kanji). It only teaches you how to write them and one meaning, but you will remember them really easily. Then you can learn readings in context and you end up learning a lot with little effort.

Then try to immerse yourself in Japanese as much as possible. Even listening to it without understanding it is effective, and recent studies have shown that that's the best way to learn any language.

Actually, just read what the website says. If you don't have enough time to do that, then maybe you can just listen to Japanese music as much as possible, which I guess people already do, as this is a Japanese (and some other language) music website. Then look up the words you hear, or look at the lyrics.

Back  |  Forums    Languages    Best way to start learning Japanese...?
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service