Anime style vs. western style

89 posts  ·  created 8yr ago by LiQorishh  ·  last post 3yr ago
Back  |  Forums    Art & graphics design    Anime style vs. western style

LiQorishh
8yr ago
4,314 jpops
permalink Which would you rather be able to draw for comics, graphic novels, etc., if forced to choose:

A: Anime Style

-OR-

B: Western (US & European) style

Explain your reason. Oh, no one word or one/simple sentenced answers. If u say: "cuz it suck" or w/e, elaborate. I really enjoy more thorough explanations.
You can mention: both, blend of two, or w/e but you must answer the main question :].

[edit]Last edit by LiQorishh on Tuesday 05 Jan, 2010 at 02:48 +5.4%[/edit][edit]Last edit by LiQorishh on Tuesday 05 Jan, 2010 at 02:48 +25.5%[/edit][edit]Last edit by LiQorishh on Sunday 03 Jan, 2010 at 19:52 +47%[/edit][edit]Last edit by LiQorishh on Sunday 03 Jan, 2010 at 17:40 +24.6%[/edit]

yasoshlasuma
8yr ago
175,135 jpops
permalink i would rather learn to draw anime coz they r cuter and fun to draw. and i have no idea what western style is..... is that Mickey Mouse style drawings?

YoshiokaBeats
6yr ago
1,011 jpops
permalink " is that Mickey Mouse style drawings?" ROFL

yasoshlasuma
6yr ago
175,135 jpops
permalink ok, so i aint that smart

YoshiokaBeats
6yr ago
1,011 jpops
permalink Oh no it's not an insult :P

yasoshlasuma
6yr ago
175,135 jpops
permalink oh okies lol

kevarouski
8yr ago
3,265 jpops
permalink ANIME STYLE

because anime is sooooooo awesome, i wish i could draw :(

kaldaddy1
8yr ago
3,834 jpops
permalink THAT'S a tough one... Before I can say for sure, what do you think is the #1 for both sides as a comparison?

From my standpoint, Anime seems to be too restricted - in that if you wander from it's style, it ceases to be Anime; whereas western style is pretty much open-ended as far as creative control.

Jasian
8yr ago
17 jpops
permalink --- ANIME -- I just love everything about anime/manga :RBheart: - I just think its prettier than the western style :RBsealed:

LiQorishh
8yr ago
4,314 jpops
Quote by kaldaddy1
THAT'S a tough one... Before I can say for sure, what do you think is the #1 for both sides as a comparison?

From my standpoint, Anime seems to be too restricted - in that if you wander from it's style, it ceases to be Anime; whereas western style is pretty much open-ended as far as creative control.

The #1 for both sides? Hmm...I'm not sure if I understand that correctly. the #1 substyle within the style? or an example of someone's work?

I agree with Anime seeming to be too restricted. I've been to anime conventions, I've seen the fan art - they may look nice, but the nice looking ones seems to be exactly copied of the OA's (original artist's) style. The common style seem to be used the most and established the "stereotype" style. Because of it's overuse, everything (these styles) begins to look similar to each other and the unique identity is lost, also establishing a "base" for anime style as a whole. This therefore restricts the style and a hope for a new pioneer (or new "Tezuka") to revive something old and turn it new, or create an entirely new style. (Oda Eiichirou's style [author of One Piece] has a sort of Western look, so he's one of the exclusions).
Also many new and wannabe manga-ka all seem like surface artists...a #6, there aren't any good original stories, but it's fan stuff and doujins so I understand (read "Understanding Comics: the invisible art" by Scott McCloud if you want to know what #6 means). I just want something new and original to be made and advertised when I go to conventions...makes the experience more enjoyable for me, but hell, you can't please everyone :RBstickout:.

I always enjoyed Western art styles too, however I was never into the popular Superhero genre and haven't found a good story of the other non-superhero genres. These Western artists seem to be #6s - majority taking the realistic style, and no good stories (yeah, I've been to Comic Cons - encountered the same thing with Anime Cons). HOWEVER, reading the stories with the simplistic and realism-simplistic styles were amazing. I guess I favor the simple style the most within the West, and the Western freedom.

I'm usually the type who answers these kind of questions with: both, blending the two, or finding a different answer. But to answer my own question, I'll have to choose Western style. I'm already in touch with an anime style, but I'm an artist that enjoys diversity and experimenting. Immersing myself into other styles broadens my knowledge so I can later develop my own, "Toushirou" style (no you anime fans out there, not Hitsugaya, my name is Toushirou, but different kanji: 闘志郎).

srry for the long post guys...oh, and I used "anime" and "manga" as genres, not by literal definition lol

LiQorishh
8yr ago
4,314 jpops
Quote by ya soshla s uma
i would rather learn to draw anime coz they r cuter and fun to draw. and i have no idea what western style is..... is that Mickey Mouse style drawings?

Western style: any other style that does not look like what you'd see in anime and manga. And yes, Mickey Mouse is a character of the Western Style (well...disney rather).

Funny that Tezuka derived his style from the Western's Disney style and created the modern structure of manga (Hokusai begun the initial 'feel' of what would be the structure). After the structure was established, other artists begun experimenting and the modern style-look of manga emerged. Then came several 'underground' and unpopular new techniques from the West were brought to and popularized in Japan, and then the "Manga" and "Anime" genre and style became established and a cultural identity of Japan.

hmm...come to think of it, maybe "Western" style shouldn't even be used because Anime and Manga are derived and based from Western styles. Since the Western style is shared internationally, maybe it's the "World" style of comics and graphic novels? Hmm...the answer is still yet to be found...haha care to help?[edit]Last edit by LiQorishh on Sunday 03 Jan, 2010 at 18:04 +78.5%[/edit]

eimiamy
8yr ago
732 jpops
permalink Anime because western is like sloppy rubbish :*D

green1
6yr ago
8 jpops
permalink Thx !
Many ppl welcomed me here warmly,like u did :D
this should be Great,lol

GorN
8yr ago
4,084 jpops
permalink A. Anime. Personally I think it's way more artistic (not that western doesn't take some skill) and has more emotion and style in it than American.

LiQorishh
8yr ago
4,314 jpops
Quote by GorN
A. Anime. Personally I think it's way more artistic (not that western doesn't take some skill) and has more emotion and style in it than American.

ahh yes, emotions, I do agree emotions seem more expressed in anime style. for western, mainly simple and cartoonish substyles carries the emotions well

UltimateDLover
8yr ago
548 jpops
permalink That's simple, Anime :D

I love the anime style, I wish I could draw it like my older sister can TT_TT

I love almost all things Japanese :D

LiQorishh
8yr ago
4,314 jpops
permalink whoa, seems like anime style is winning...well I guess that should be expected on this site

anyways here's the score:

anime - 6

Western - 2

yuiAZU
6yr ago
1,480 jpops
permalink banzaii anime...0medet0...muahahahaha...l0L...i l0v justice league...

sayonarareborn
8yr ago
295 jpops
permalink I would have to say anime, though I don't see anything wrong with the Western style.

The reasons for me preferring anime styles is due to the fact that:
a) I much prefer the artwork, as it's cleaner and well... prettier, haha, to look at. I'm also one to enjoy seeing the abstractness of the mangaka with their artwork, and plus their anatomy is rather fun to look at and sometimes mimic (as an amateur artist).
b) Often times, the plot is more interesting to read, and I find myself enjoying the story lines of anime much more than I do in Western styles, and the greatest part of anime is that they can vary from slice-of-life to fantasy or alternative worlds. Honestly, manga really is like a novel, but a visual one.
c) Culture. It's awesome to see the culture that's infused within series, and I greatly enjoy seeing it. However, this has led to several annoyances of people that become OVEROBSESSED, and thus, get obnoxious about it, thinking they know how to speak Japanese fluently or something *facepalm*

However, I don't have anything against the Western style either. Cartoons are still fun to look at, e.g. Calvin and Hobbes, which is definitely one of my all-time favorite comics to read. However, I don't like the art style for many of them, and often find the plots boring and never ending.

I do however, like styles such as Disney, as the animations are unique in its own sense.

Pem2
8yr ago
1,297 jpops
permalink i can't choose between both side because from my opinion western style more good in 3d and anime style good in 2d

LiQorishh
8yr ago
4,314 jpops
Quote by Pem2
i can't choose between both side because from my opinion western style more good in 3d and anime style good in 2d

ooh, didn't think of throwing in 2D and 3D, nice :]. still, which would u draw if you were forced?

Pem2
8yr ago
1,297 jpops
Quote by LiQorishh
[Quote by Pem2]

ooh, didn't think of throwing in 2D and 3D, nice :]. still, which would u draw if you were forced?

if i was forced to draw i prefer western style(like mickey mouse etc :D) because i think western style is more beautiful than anime style(anime style is cool)

MustaKirsikka
8yr ago
281 jpops
permalink Anime style :RBheart: :RBheart: :RBheart: :RBheart:

LiQorishh
8yr ago
4,314 jpops
Quote by MustaKirsikka
Anime style :RBheart: :RBheart: :RBheart: :RBheart:

plz explain your reason...don't make it short and simple, please elaborate. I'm just curious about everyone's opinions

modsiw
8yr ago
21 jpops
permalink Since I draw more realistic stuff, I prefer western stlye. I do like anime style, but I don't like to draw like that...

MustaKirsikka
8yr ago
281 jpops
Quote by LiQorishh
[Quote by MustaKirsikka]

plz explain your reason...don't make it short and simple, please elaborate. I'm just curious about everyone's opinions

okay.
Well, three years ago i was on a manga drawing course, when it ended somehow I couldn't draw a western style anymore... :RBohNo:

But i don't complain manga/anime style is cute, :smilec:
I really like drawing eyes. :)
And emotions in anime are somehow.... i don't know how to say it :RBangry:

muse4evr
8yr ago
65 jpops
permalink anime because its fun to draw and the art just looks better than in cartoons like u cant compare deathnote to spongebob

LOL
8yr ago
118 jpops
permalink LOL, why do you even bother? both are technically the same of a comic art <_<

ouransakura12
8yr ago
811 jpops
permalink i'd go with the anime style drawing...
i've been drawing a lot of that...

i have drawn anime style drawings and i also drawn images of anime...
most of them are from ouran high...
i have drawn all the members of the host club.... i even used them in school on our subject regarding drawing...

aside from them, i also drew inuyasha, yugi, goku, killua, and a lot more that i have forgotten already....

i was thinking of drawing fruits basket already... :D

from the body parts, i really like drawing eyes...

i have made different eyes of animes... be it big, small, round, upturned....

drawing is my way of relieving stress whenever i felt so stressfull....

:RBstickout: :RBstickout: :RBstickout: :RBstickout: :RBstickout: :RBstickout:

unifantasy07
8yr ago
13,145 jpops
permalink very interesting question here....hmmm well I can't draw much of anything besides hearts and stars XD

I think I would like to draw a blend of both styles. Currently there is one manga that is blending these two styles currently: Karakuridoji ULTIMO; concept is by Stan Lee (Famous western comic artist) & story & art is by Hiroyuki Takei (Famous Manga-ka). It's currently being serialized simultaneously by both Japan's & America's Jump. The man character Yamato, has a strong western feel of art while the robots & fights are 100% Japanese ^.^

I really enjoy the artwork in manga - the characters are drawn very elegantly(at least in the ones I read), through out the story you can see the characters "grow", and the background pictures are usually nature landscapes (which I love)

I enjoy my superhero art (Superman & Spiderman rock!) - I didn't really read the comics but I enjoyed the cartoons/movies. I do think that the western art work has a more "real" feeling as opposed to the fantasy world found in alot of manga.

That's my 2 cents :D and that would be the first point for a blend of both styles :D

LiQorishh
8yr ago
4,314 jpops
permalink @uni: hmm, I should check that out, Karakuridoji ULTIMO

ouransakura12
8yr ago
811 jpops
permalink i wanted to share my latest drawing here in JPOP...

but i'm shy... i think my drawing's not good enough to be shown to the world...
LOL...

plus, my drawing's not original...
i just copied it from the manga of Bisco hatori...

the cute tamaki hugging his kuma-chan...

LOLS...

maybe next time...

LOLS....

MsGaijin
8yr ago
153 jpops
permalink I myself would choose both style but for different reasons-

Anime: if i want to draw stories which are told through the drawings.

Western: if it's for graphic novel

FrozenRosePetal
8yr ago
729 jpops
permalink I think I like anime better.

But um, there's the OEL manga "Bizenghast." The style really isn't totally anime, especially the eyes. example: http://comicsworthreading.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bizenghast6.jpg I really love the style though.

Anime is a lot more rigid, I agree.

Probably a blend is nice. :D Mostly anime, but with some hints of western, I guess.

Though pure anime is lovley.

Actually, I think I like anime better.

babeedoll
8yr ago
1,023 jpops
permalink anime style~!

western style is mostly sloppy n lacks details, which i dont like..

Kin
8yr ago
608 jpops
permalink I've been to a few concept art forums and a lot of the western artists seems to dislike the anime style because they think they all look the same. However I think both Japanese and Western comics are very diverse, so they both have really cool stuff.

But having said that I think manga has some of the most creative story telling that are rare in western comics.[edit]Last edit by Kin on Monday 02 Aug, 2010 at 12:33 +32%[/edit]

MyvBane
8yr ago
191 jpops
permalink I would have to say Anime style since i'm more used to drawing that instead of western style. But don't get me wrong western style is still good but i like anime style more because you can have more expressions in it and it is wayy more cuter than western.

badeth
8yr ago
13,124 jpops
permalink [i]anime style drawings, honestly i don't have the talent to draw but when i'am watching someone drawing anime, i reall feel that drawing anime is easier and cuter.[/i]

wain
8yr ago
99 jpops
permalink Hmmm very difficult question, nowadays i would have to say WESTERN! wait wait wait... before you guys judge! Western style has moved on massivly in terms of style and variety. Whilst Manga and Anime although amazingly cool, is pretty one dimensional. :RBundecided:
I'm oriental and my drawing/design style is largely influenced from my far eastern roots. But having grown up in the western world I can apprieciate both styles.

So i think the question is unfair. Anime is one straight up style, western style is many styles (disney, Marvel etc...)

A fairer question would be Anime comics vs Western Comics style...
In which case i would lean towards Anime definetly...

BizarreKao
7yr ago
1,184 jpops
permalink well I don't like the "classical" anime-style that much. Cause all the characters are alike. But I like it when a manga-ka has his/her own "anime-ish" style, which is actually both like the western-style a bit and more anime-style. But still, it's more realistic and for me more creative... For comic's, I found manga's subject's more interesting but when it's the art-style, both is good... Ah, it's complicated...
sorry- I wasn't able to explain the way I wanted to - I'm not that good at english.

KakkouiiYuuki
7yr ago
691 jpops
permalink I would say anime, a lot of people say anime is easier but I think it's harder manly because of how simple the characters are. When it comes to background as well it really get hard.

uMi15
7yr ago
2,140 jpops
permalink I guess I would say Western style, just because it includes a lot more types of drawing. There are Japanese drawing styles that wouldn't necessarily fall into anime style too. Although it would be really cool to be able to draw anime/manga style too!

apriatnakusuma
7yr ago
177 jpops
permalink anime style is so cool

western style is so hard i think

SpunkyBerry
7yr ago
2,790 jpops
permalink definitely anime! :D because they look cooler and cuter.
the emotions are really cool and easy to draw :)
i din't think anime isn't easier to draw, but it is more fun to draw :D
there are way more types of drawing eyes in anime style! :moved:

raimon
7yr ago
591 jpops
permalink To me.. Anime style is what i grew up on.. i draw alot when i was a kid.. (it sucks , even now, but i still kept drawing... it was fun...)
But if i was to be "Forced" into drawing a style.. i would say.. Western...
Anime style has its pros.. its clean, simpler to understand and portray different emotions... but it just lacks realism for me..
I would like to learn more how to draw character designs in western style.. or rather in a variety of styles.. right now im using anime / manga as my reference but i should broaden my range...

So my pick will be Western, if i was forced to draw.. although unconsciously i would probably draw in anime style.. ;)

Sundaybro
7yr ago
683 jpops
permalink Anime is the best coz it has a Op song and Ed song..that's first...then western style is more into guy who have muscle and anime is more into slim and cool guy....3rd is that anime girls are more beautiful and cute than western...and Finally ! Anime is cooler than western is coz they are made from japan...kahakhakahakah!
^0^{JAPAN ROCK!}

labellagorda
7yr ago
188 jpops
permalink Manga Style!!! Coz they're much more beautiful... to me at least :)

NoctisLullaby886
7yr ago
49 jpops
permalink Although I'm not fond of Western comics, i Can't really choose. both styles have their ups,downs, and equal ground when you compare, in my opinion

jaden1992
7yr ago
276,260 jpops
permalink Western Style for me.
In my opinion Anime style all looks similar, not a lot of variation. With western style however you can draw whatever way you want, there is no limit.

Readysteady
7yr ago
1,465 jpops
permalink Anime Style for me.
because anime style is draw some chara and the anime style felt more alive than western style,and because my talent is drawing anime style ^_^

Back  |  Forums    Art & graphics design    Anime style vs. western style
JpopAsia   © 2018             Privacy             Terms            
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, Updated Privacy Policy 2.01 and Terms of Service