You have turned off JavaScript in your browser.
Enable JavaScript in your browsers preferences to make use of all the advanced features of JpopAsia.com
[Artist] Malice Mizer

Posts in [Artist] Malice Mizer

official topic   ·   created by qiyue27   ·   50 posts
Malice Mizer

Official Malice Mizer topic

Members
Vocals: Klaha (ex-PRIDE OF MIND)
Guitar, Synthesizer: Mana (ex-Ves:tearge, GIRL's, matenrou, now in Moi dix Mois)
Guitar, Synthesizer: kozi (ex-Girl, Matenrou, Eve of Destiny, DALLE, now in XA-VAT)
Bass: YU~KI (ex-ze:ro)

Former members
Drums: GAZ (ex-DATURA, KneuKlid Romance, the Night Breeze Zinnia, DOVERMAN, BUZZ BONE)
Vocals: tetsu (ex-MEGA 8 BALL, nil, ZIGZO, THE JUNE...

Read more (784 words more)

Members
Vocals: Klaha (ex-PRIDE OF MIND)
Guitar, Synthesizer: Mana (ex-Ves:tearge, GIRL's, matenrou, now in Moi dix Mois)
Guitar, Synthesizer: kozi (ex-Girl, Matenrou, Eve of Destiny, DALLE, now in XA-VAT)
Bass: YU~KI (ex-ze:ro)

Former members
Drums: GAZ (ex-DATURA, KneuKlid Romance, the Night Breeze Zinnia, DOVERMAN, BUZZ BONE)
Vocals: tetsu (ex-MEGA 8 BALL, nil, ZIGZO, THE JUNEJULYAUGUST)
Drums: kami (ex-Kneuklid Romance) [passed away]
Vocals: GACKT (ex-cains:feel, ex-YELLOW FRIED CHICHENz, now: solo)

About Malice Mizer
Malice Mizer was a Japanese band in the visual kei music scene, active from August 1992 to December 2001. Formed by Mana and Közi, the band's name stands for "malice and misery" — their answer to the question "what is human?". Their music was characterized by their strong goth and classical influences.

Malice Mizer were as famous for their music as for their live shows, featuring lavish historical costumes and stage sets, whimsical dance routines and band members flying suspended from wires. Throughout their history, the band went through several different lineups and three drastic image changes.

On December 11, 2001, it was announced that Malice Mizer would go on indefinite hiatus.

History

Tetsu era (1992 – 1994)

Malice Mizer was formed in 1992 by Mana and Közi with Tetsu on vocals, both Mana and Közi on guitars/synthesizers, Yu~ki on bass and Gaz on drums. From the outset, the band established their trademark "twin guitar"' sound, whereby two guitars play different melodies creating polyphony. Malice Mizer's sound during the Tetsu era was a mixture of early 1980s goth and strong classical influences. Their first official release was the song "Speed of Desperate" on the 1993 compilation Brain Trash. Before this, they had released a demo tape called Sans Logique which contained no vocals. Shortly after the release of Brain Trash, Gaz left the band to join Kneuklid Romance, while Kneuklid Romance's drummer Kami in turn joined Malice Mizer. In 1994, the band released their first album, memoire, on Mana's newly founded Indie music label, Midi:Nette, and shortly after re-released it with an additional bonus track ("バロック"; Baroque) under the title memoire DX. Only days later, singer Tetsu left the band. While the exact reasons are unknown, Tetsu went on to take a different direction in his work.

Gackt era (1995 – 1999)

In 1995, after a year of inactivity, Malice Mizer recruited Gackt as their new vocalist. Under his influence, the band's music became more wistful and romantic in its mood, incorporating even stronger classical influences as well as French pop music. Visually, the band abandoned their 1980s goth look for colourful historical costumes. In 1996, Malice Mizer released their second album, Voyage 〜sans retour〜. The band became increasingly popular and in 1997 signed with the major label Nippon Columbia, where they released a number of successful singles, a short film ("ヴェル・エール 〜空白の瞬間の中で〜 de l'image"; Bel Air-Verte Aile ~Kuuhaku no shunkan no naka de~ de l'image), and, in 1998, their first and only major label album, merveilles. The band even had their own radio show around this time. In January 1999, at the height of Malice Mizer's success, Gackt left the band to start a solo career, taking a substantial part of their fan base with him. Malice Mizer left Nippon Columbia and returned to Mana's Indie music label, Midi:Nette.

A few months after Gackt's departure, drummer Kami died of a subarachnoid hemorrhage, leaving behind a handful of songs, which the band eventually released as part of the mini-album/video boxset 神話 (Shinwa ~Kami's Memorial Box~). Kami was never replaced; from that point on, Malice Mizer would only use support drummers (namely Shue, whom is not shown in the band's later and final music videos, nor credited) and Kami would be credited as "eternal blood relative" on all their future releases.

Klaha era (2000 – 2001)

In the second half of 1999 and the beginning of 2000, Malice Mizer — still without an official vocalist — released a number of singles and began to work on a new album. Eventually, they recruited Klaha (real name Masaki Haruna), vocalist of visual kei/darkwave band Pride of Mind. By then the band had abandoned the lighter pop music sound of the Gackt era for a dramatic mixture of classical music, Goth and heavy metal music, and adopted an elaborate funereal Goth look. In the summer of 2000, they released what would be their last album, 薔薇の聖堂 (Bara no seidou), followed by a very spectacular and theatrical live show, featuring pyrotechnics, a choir of veiled nuns and a scaled-down cathedral as stage prop. In 2001, Malice Mizer starred in a feature length vampire movie, 薔薇の婚礼 ~真夜中に交わした約束~ (Bara no konrei ~Mayonaka ni kawashita yakusoku~), and released three more singles: Gardenia, Beast of Blood, and Garnet ~禁断の園へ~ (Garnet ~Kindan no sono e~). Eventually the band members decided to go their own separate ways, leaving disband messages on their official website, Miroir, which can still be viewed today. close

• Posted by qiyue27   6 years ago · 22 May '08, 05:44am  
    qiyue27
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 283
    • Shares 3
    • Posts 566
    • JPA age
      6 years

you are invited to share your feelings and loyalty each other.
    i love to find malice mizer fans.

~really miss them.

miss ya~
  • Posted by kyorocksmysocks   6 years ago · 22 May '08, 06:04am  
    kyorocksmysocks
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 3,660
    • Posts 16
    • JPA age
      6 years

malice mizer was one of my first visual kei bands to draw my attention. Now i cant get enough of visual kei!!!! i expecialy love manna. (um, i do hope thats his name...)

daydreaming about kyo, oh kyo....
  • Posted by qiyue27   6 years ago · 22 May '08, 06:33am  
    qiyue27
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 283
    • Shares 3
    • Posts 566
    • JPA age
      6 years

malice mizer was one of my first visual kei bands to draw my attention. Now i cant get enough of visual kei!!!! i expecialy love manna. (um, i do hope thats his name...)

me too. i really really love all of his outfits.
    i fall in love with them when i heard 'au revoir' for the first time.

miss ya~
  • Posted by eilonwe2   6 years ago · 24 Jun '08, 13:28pm  
    eilonwe2
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 17,708
    • Shares 9
    • Posts 63
    • JPA age
      6 years

I only recently got into Malice Mizer, 'cuase of Gackt. But wow, the costumes. Dang, I wish I had known Kami when he was alive. He's was an amazing drummer, and that HAIR. one bio write on him stated that he never used a fan behind his drum set that all that gravity defying hair was all natural talent.

Rest in Harmony, Kami-sama, for you are missed.

• Posted by HelloHaruka   6 years ago · 01 Jul '08, 06:45am  
    HelloHaruka
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 11,663
    • Posts 0
    • JPA age
      6 years

I checked out some pics of 'em. ...Whoa. They are some girly looking guys.

Kami-sama? I know you mean a member of that band, but at the same time you're saying God!!!!

I'm not a big fan of visual kei. I like the costumes, but not the music. It's all male singers and hardly any women. (I'm a big fan of female singers) And yes, I have checked out Kana, but I don't have the ears for that kinda voice.

Also, they are too 90s for me. I only like the newest stuff. No way am I gonna get into the 90s visual kei! But it's fun to look at the costumes and how girly they are.[edit]Last edit by HelloHaruka on Monday 29 Sep, 2008 at 12:23 +31.6%[/edit]

• Posted by Renannon   6 years ago · 03 Jul '08, 12:24pm  
    Renannon
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 1,604
    • Shares 7
    • Posts 954
    • JPA age
      6 years

I love Malice Mizer- not so much for the music though. I really love the Gackt days the best, and I'm a huge lolita fan so Mana-sama is kind of special to me. That sounds wierd, ne? He's the most beautiful man as a woman I've ever seen :wink:

my tummy hurts
  • Posted by godsfaith   6 years ago · 03 Jul '08, 15:37pm  
    godsfaith
    • I'm a boy
    • Jpops 251
    • Shares 13
    • Posts 117
    • JPA age
      6 years

So sad, so crazy :RBfrown:

I'm back-GG, can you see?)
  • Posted by Renannon   6 years ago · 03 Jul '08, 18:35pm  
    Renannon
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 1,604
    • Shares 7
    • Posts 954
    • JPA age
      6 years

Why is it sad? I can understand crazy but not everyone likes the same things :)

my tummy hurts
  • Posted by qiyue27   6 years ago · 22 Aug '08, 18:05pm  
    qiyue27
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 283
    • Shares 3
    • Posts 566
    • JPA age
      6 years

I'm a huge lolita fan so Mana-sama is kind of special to me. That sounds wierd, ne? He's the most beautiful man as a woman I've ever seen :wink:

yeah!!really agree with you...i loves all of his outfits..haha~ so difficult to get it.

miss ya~
  • Posted by TwistedFlower   6 years ago · 23 Aug '08, 02:46am  
    TwistedFlower
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 9,469
    • Shares 37
    • Posts 1,359
    • JPA age
      6 years

Mana-sama = GOD!! :jangel:

Keep Your Head Down - TVXQ
  • Posted by jlover13   6 years ago · 07 Sep '08, 07:19am  
    jlover13
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 2,623
    • Shares 1
    • Posts 42
    • JPA age
      6 years

love malice mizer...my favorite video of theirs has to be le ciel because of the beautiful costumes...and gackt's nailsO.o omg theyre so longO.O i love how pretty all of their videos are...really creative with colour...like beast of blood is all black, white, and red, and le ciel is all white...just really pretty stuff^^

soooo sleeeeeepy...
  • Posted by LamentfulMiss   6 years ago · 24 Sep '08, 15:14pm  
    LamentfulMiss
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 238
    • Posts 10
    • JPA age
      6 years

I think it was Moi dix Mois that lead me to find out more about Mana. Hence I came upon Malice Mizer! Illuminati was the first song I heard... and then Baroque, etc. I fell in love immediately! Sadly, they are no longer together and Kami passed away so young... R.I.P. :RBcrying:

I love all of the albums, all three of the vocalists' voices. Each 'era' saw the band go in a new direction. :)

Random, but anyone an avid GacktxMana believer (it's just a fantasy, but I like to pretend; it's all fun and wishful thinking)? :RBheart:[edit]Last edit by LamentfulMiss on Wednesday 24 Sep, 2008 at 15:17 +0.3%[/edit]

Lost within the opulent walls of Versailles.
  • Posted by Arichan   6 years ago · 24 Sep '08, 21:52pm  
    Arichan
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 347
    • Posts 78
    • JPA age
      6 years

Aww i miss malice mizer. My favorite member was kami cause hes pretty :3 TT_TT his hair looked very pettable. Too bad they were gone before i knew about them. I think they were the best when gackt was the singer.Does any one know the real reason he stopped being the singer. Ive heard alot of people say stuffs but i wanna know >>
    I also think mana is pretty epic... scary but epic cause it was his idea XD moi dix mois is good to but i think they have some songs that sound alittle like malice mizer ones. My favorite malice mizer songs are syuun kiss, au revoir and illuminati XD

listening to vidoll
  • Posted by LamentfulMiss   6 years ago · 25 Sep '08, 05:35am  
    LamentfulMiss
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 238
    • Posts 10
    • JPA age
      6 years

Quote by Arichan
    I think they were the best when gackt was the singer.Does any one know the real reason he stopped being the singer. Ive heard alot of people say stuffs but i wanna know >>

I'm pretty sure the most 'favoured' reason for his departure is that he clashed with Mana on the direction of the band; he wanted more input, and for the band to expand musically, or something. That's the excuse most people stick to, and it seems the most logical... but they have pretty much kept quiet about it.

Lost within the opulent walls of Versailles.
  • Posted by littleichigo   6 years ago · 23 Oct '08, 12:15pm  
    littleichigo
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 549
    • Posts 43
    • JPA age
      6 years

Malice Mizer was one of my first Visual Kei bands and they are so special to me. The first song I heard was Au Revoir, and it became my favourite. Very sad they disbanded...I really miss them a lot.

I think they did really great works, not only with songs, but also on PV's and, of course, with the lives. The Merveilles concert is amazing in many ways! I don't know how many times I've seen it, but I never get tired, and seems there's always a new detail to discover on it.

From LamentfulMiss:
    I love all of the albums, all three of the vocalists' voices. Each 'era' saw the band go in a new direction.

I couldn't agree with you more on that! I think all of the "eras" has their own special meaning, I love all of them.

in lollipop's world
  • Posted by EmperorHyde   6 years ago · 24 Oct '08, 18:39pm  
    EmperorHyde
    • I'm a boy
    • Jpops 1,065
    • Posts 14
    • JPA age
      6 years

Malice Mizer was one of the best visual kei bands, I got in to their music through the song Beast of Blood when I saw the PV

Getting ready for work
  • Posted by ar88   6 years ago · 25 Oct '08, 16:11pm  
    ar88
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 760
    • Posts 46
    • JPA age
      6 years

I got to know Malice Mizer after listening to Gackt, and I'd say that they were one of the best VK band ever. I mean, they really were "visual" and their elaborate costumes were so adorable! Esp. Mana! He can even look beautiful with blue lipstick an orange-ish hair!!!! :RBheart:
    Another strong point of Malice Mizer was their live performances. My favorite is, of course Merveilles Live :D

For song, I personally like Brise, ILLUMINATI, Au Revoir, Madrigal.

o(^_^)o
  • Posted by qiyue27   6 years ago · 27 Oct '08, 16:08pm  
    qiyue27
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 283
    • Shares 3
    • Posts 566
    • JPA age
      6 years

Quote by littleichigo
    The first song I heard was Au Revoir, and it became my favourite. Very sad they disbanded...I really miss them a lot.

yeahh!! me too~ I really really want to learn how to play violin part in Au Revoir song. really hope they can reunited.[edit]Last edit by qiyue27 on Monday 27 Oct, 2008 at 16:10 +1.5%[/edit]

miss ya~
  • Posted by Koosie   6 years ago · 04 Feb '09, 05:50am  
    Koosie
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 142
    • Posts 7
    • JPA age
      5 years

I only recently got into Malice Mizer, but I've known about them for a while longer. But recently I've 'discovered' just how great their music was.

Too bad they are no longer together, but the music lives on! :)

• Posted by mika   6 years ago · 04 Feb '09, 06:41am  
    mika
    • I'm a girl
    • Jpops 24,634
    • Shares 33
    • Posts 18,681
    • JPA age
      6 years

Malice Mizer held some amazing lives. More like brilliant. It's really cool to watch!

"I don't know what grey is. I never did."

Post a reply

an account to post a reply. Already have an account? to post a reply in this topic.

official topic   ·   created by qiyue27   ·   50 posts

About Malice Mizer

Band nameMalice Mizer
Band typevisual kei band (4 members)
Debut1992 (hiatus)
LabelNippon Columbia, Midi:Nette
Official websitehttp://www.malice-mizer....
Official profile
Bookmark account or
  • Rank
  • In news
  • Houses sold
  • Forum posts
  • Lyrics
  • Albums
  • Singles
  • Events
  • Videos

Meet new Asian friends! Join FREE!